1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

flowerbeds this time of year

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BeerBefore12, Aug 24, 2001.

1. BeerBefore12

BeerBefore12 LawnSite Member

I'd just like to know your favorite flowers for color and coverage for 2x20ft. size beds if you had to plant them now. doesnt have to be exclusively perennial just flowering and to reach no higher than 2 ft or so.
  2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Don't know your climate but how about Mums?
  3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

For a fall blooming perennial, some asters would work well. A little later on, pansies are nice.
  4. BeerBefore12

BeerBefore12 LawnSite Member

zone 7b. the mums, as far as the expediency of this project, will be the ole reliable and its usually what I've been using backed up with the pansies too as typically all he greenhouses around here will have their pansies ready soon to three weeks. I'l check out those asters . soods real good. these beds go up underneath a covered front walkway to the door and border both sides of the walk up. its not exclusively shady as different times of the day they get some sun but no irragation- a ramada ltd. can you believe it- so I was a bit worried that I'd have to opt for liriope grass or evergreen shrub just to get some longeivity of life before winter and not have to go rip them up in a months time. funny but the greenhouses around here seem lacking in flowering perennial choices for some reason. thanks