1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clint, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

when i bid on a home, i tell them i will keep their flowerbeds clean, now in my mind im thinking, leaves, sticks, things that fall in the beds, not weeding it! is this what you guys do, or how do you go about cleaning the flowerbeds?

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i always specify what everything includes.
  3. KrisD

KrisD LawnSite Member

When I say we're going to keep the beds clean I only mean weeding it, or at least clean of things that grow in it (grass weeds). I guess you need to clarify what you will be doing to the beds.
  4. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

IF you don't spell it out for then you will find yourself weeding, and taking care of anything else that goes wrong with it.
  5. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

We have an extra charge to weed rock beds. "Rock bed weed control" we charge around $60 per application. (average sq feet) This service includes chemical spray to all the decorative rocked landscape on the lawn and around the house. We do a quick blow of the rock beds every week at the same time we cut included in the mowing price. We don't touch any flower beds or gardens.
  6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I found out a while ago that there were two basic kinds of customers in my area. 1) Those who just wanted the lawn to be maintainted and 2) Those who didn't want to lift a finger when it came to landscaping. So we've custom tailored our two maintenance packages as such.

For our Full Service clients, we take care of everything in the flowerbeds - including weeding. We have a policy that we spray any small weeds (e.g. under 1" tall or wide) and pull any larger weeds. If the guys on my crews spray frequently, they never have to pull weeds. We also use pre-emergent control for many flowerbed areas.

I think you'll find that most people who want their flowerbeds kept up will expect weeding as part of that upkeep.
  7. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

In the fall we blow the leaves of the lawn areas a lightly blow a different flower bed each week. The final fall clean up is removing the leaves in all the beds and lawn areas. Everything is spelled out on paper. Those things that aren't spelled out are priced out at that time. You can go about it many different ways: you can
    1. Charge the for each time you pull weeds.
    2. Include it in your monthly charge.
    3. Or spray as needed and charge per spray.

Do what works for you.

Travis :confused:
  8. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

:cool: Good Advice Jim :cool:

Same in Metro-Seattle.......Boeing starting to pinch but SUMMER approaches!
  9. kturner

kturner LawnSite Member

Here in Seattle weeding goes on almost ten months of the year and none of our clients will lift a finger so we write complete weeding and debris removal from the beds and walks into a monthly contract. They pay prorated for the year.

I also try to encourage weeding rather than chemicals while bidding which gives the customer a greater expectation of time and higher monthly bill.