Flowering Crabapple Tree

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MJM landscaping, May 15, 2005.

1. MJM landscaping

MJM landscaping LawnSite Member

Customer wants me to set the tree about a foot in the ground and then build up around the tree with topsoil. The idea is in the future they said they will probably raise the rear yard almost a foot. Do you think this is a good idea for me to plant the tree like this or not?

2. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

For Malus floribunda, I'd use those interlocking retaining wall blocks you can buy at Lowes or HD and create a raised bed for it. Just a circle of stones two or three blocks high should do it. Then when they decide that the time has come to raise the yard they can remove the stones. Make sure that you leave enough room for growth.

3. MJM landscaping

MJM landscaping LawnSite Member

I dont think that is a good idea to place stone on top of the root system, plus the customer does not want that.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

No what you wanna do is add topsoil and intigrate it into the existing soil
    and plant the tree on top of that.
    Plant up not down.

5. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Sheshovel understood what I was saying. If you raise the yard up, it will be easier to integrate the tree at that level instead of planting it and bringing up the yard to the same level. By putting it in a temporary raised bed, the roots have already penetrated the native soil and topsoil will only make it better. All you'd do is dump your soil in, rake it even with the stones in the bed and remove the stones to backfill.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Garth is exactly correct Again and knows the score on this so be advised by his good advice! :D