flowers all dieing

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by shade tree landscaping, May 18, 2010.

1. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

We did a job about 10days ago, planted about 35 flats of impatients, all were in good health when planted. Got a call yesturday from property manager complaing that alot had died, went today to take a look at at least half have died. I know that its not the location b/c we have planted them there before and they always did well. I know that they are watered well b/c we check the sprinkler coverage every season to make sure. I applied 14-14-14 at time of planting, could that be whats burning the flowers up?

2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

That would depend on how much you put down. Secondly...were they on the dry side when you planted them into dry soil..on a day that wasnt raining? (just giving you a scenario) Some of the flowers I got this year had extremely small roots while the flower was pretty big...had I not prewaterd..they would have been toast in 2 hours. Is there a pattern to the dead?...1/2...random...here and there?

3. Mike's Lawn & Snow

Mike's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

While it has never happened to me I have heard that to much fertilizer will kill flowers in no time.

4. mdlwn1

:drinkup::clapping:

5. shade tree landscaping

Fert wasn't applied all that heavy. Flowers were planted into new natrual mulch and watered with a hose rite after planting, they weren't dry but not soaked prior to planting. No real pattern, I was looking for that today when I inspected them, but just randomly. Only thing I can think of would be the 14-14-14 killing them even though it wasn't put down all that heavy.

6. Mike's Lawn & Snow

Mike's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

a lot of times once our soil is amended properly we won't even put a fertilizer down and will rely solely on the fertilizer that is with the flower and then come back later in the summer time and give them a light fertilizer.

7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

NJ Landscapers such as Lipinski and Moon have had very good results when planting annuals with our worm castings, yes worm poop! :)

8. shade tree landscaping

the poop, weather warm or cold, wouldn't fly with the property manger/owner. Its a high end apartment building in a urban enviroment, they complained of the smell from the natrual triple shred mulch we put down.

9. mdlwn1

You planted them into "new natural mulch"? Mulch probably cooked them off a bit. Heres what I go through when I plant. 1. I almost never use mulch..I used to..then I learned better...2. If you are planting into mulch..make sure the entire root system is in the soil BELOW...not the mulch...big deal!..3. New natural mulch will almost always cook anything that is remotely fragile..sometimes you can get mulch with a ph of less than 4. Im from Toms River......OCRC had mulch that burned grass after sitting on it for less than 5 minutes...a handfull! Did the mulch smell more than usual? My guess is ytou have a bit of a symphony of problems......

10. mdlwn1

You just found your answer. And btw...worm casting...well...Ill let Barry tell you...lol!