Flowers and Crepe Myrtles

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnspecialties, Mar 9, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I need some suggestions on some flowers for a bed with three crepe myrtles. The crepes are the deep pink (almost red) flowering type. The flowers will be in almost full sun and I would like them to be fairly hearty with the low rainfall we've been getting. Of course, most of all, they need to color coordinate with the crepes. Thanks:)

2. PlantSolutions

PlantSolutions LawnSite Member

First, Crepe Myrtles bloom later in the summer (August time frame). So, I would suggest that if you are doing a bed planting, you concentrate on succession plantings. Anotherwards, something that will be blooming at all time throughout the summer into fall.
    Some plants that like sun and dry are: Coreopsis, Dianthus, Achillea, Salvia, Guara, Helianthus, Nepeta, Iris siberica, Rudbeckia, Sedum, and grasses...all of these are in the yellow, purple and pink color ranges and would look nice. A great grass that blooms later in the fall is Muehlenbergia capillaris and looks nice with Rudbeckia fulgida var. fulgida.

Hope this helps and good luck!

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks a ton. I'll probably be building the bed and planting by the end of the month.:)