flowers and mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Sharper Edge, May 23, 2005.

1. Sharper Edge

Sharper Edge LawnSite Member

installing 50 yrds. mulch and 60 flats of flowers which one should we do first? flowers or the mulch? any suggestions.

2. Grass Masters

Grass Masters LawnSite Member
    from NC

If possibel Mulch First and then plant flowers

Flowers in flats can be planted just n the mulch and still grow good

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I say exact opposite, plant first

4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

you will not likely not get a concensus here on your question. Some will say mulch first others will say flwrs first.

All I know is that we do hundreds of yards of mulch and large flower displays for commercial properties. We find it faster to mulch first, then pull back the mulch with an adjustable rake, and install the flowers then rake mulch level. Trying to install that much mulch around little annual flowers, kills our job times for a given mulch install. I've timed it both ways and mulching first is most productive...at least for us.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Holy Christmas...a voice from the past! I thought you died and/or fell off the planet there Gary LOL. :D

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

No I'm still alive and kicking...I have just been sooooo.... busy doing what you do Rod ....counting my piles of $$$$$$$! :blush:

7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I AGREE WITH THAT!

8. surfisher211

surfisher211 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

yea mulch it first like stated b4 its always essayer to fall back and do the planting good luck!

9. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

I usually suggest plant then mulch, especially with larger shrubs and trees. With annuals, you may get away with the mulching first though. I think it looks nicer when everything is planted then mulched. Less of a chance of the dug up soil and rocks messing up the mulch.

Jason

10. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

We agree with gary 100% on order.

You may want to dedicate some drills with auger bits for all those plantings!

We water down our flats, then turn the whole flats upside down and simply shake out all the water laden bedding plants near where they will be planted, or into the wheelbarrow.