Flowers and other add-on's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Popsicle, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

In reading some of the posts here, I decided to add "spring color" and "summer color" (flats) line items to my yearly contracts. I basically took the price of the flat and added an hour of labor per flat. Any body else doing this? How do you estimate? What other services are you adding? (Ie: aeration, overseeding, fertilizing, soil testing, moss suppression, etc).

This has been the best tool for my new company!

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Make sure you add on a mark up on the flat, possible travel charge as well for picking up the flat..

I personally don't add that to a contract..they are extra add on features that are done throughout the year. I have 3 lawn care packages;

Basic: mowing, trimming, blowing, spring and fall clean ups

Gold: mowing, trimming, blowing, spring and fall clean ups, landscaping maintenance, dethatching,and aeration

Platinum: mowing, trimming, blowing, spring and fall clean ups, landscaping maintenance, 8 step fertilization & weed control program, edging, dethatching, aeration, and tree and shrub maintenance.

I also have it though that any feature can be added onto the packages: like the fertilization, edging, landscaping maintenace, etc. I stress that the packages are a worry free and hassle free program. It means that if they sign up for what they want, they won't be hassled for the others throughout the year unless they ask or I might suggest that it would benefit their lawn. They love the fact that they are not constantly bothered throughout year or someone trying to sell them more stuff that they don't want.

3. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

I added them to the bottom of the estimate as a "recommended service" so they could Line Item Veto it. The firm actually liked it and asked me to add it to another quote I submitted today.

I like the way you group your service levels. Good idea. I may incorporate a similar program.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I like how you worded that "recommended service" that is without a doubt an eye grabbing phrase. I would use that phrase a lot more. It really makes the customer think.

5. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

Absolutely. I started this company last October after being in wholesale distribution for 16 years I have a habit of marking EVERYTHING up! Being a branch manager taught me everything I need to know about the business side. Now if I can only master the lawn side!

On your fertilizing, how is the use of "non-toxic, all-natural" fertilizers stand in you area? I'm finding my customers like and prefer the option. (They don't get a choice on waterfront.)

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Often people will say "I didn't realize you did that"...some think we only mow and go...Every proposal is 4 pages with every service I offer noted and briefly described...what it is and when its done....we then walk thru each item when we finalize the deal..they say yeah or neah to each..use for res and commercial...it works very well for me and the customer....I wouldn't be in this biz if I could not do the add on work

ps..just my opinion but an hour per flat is not enough...you need to recover ALL of your time for those flowers...from the time customer says "do it" until you have cleaned up..and that includes planning, order, pick up, prep bed, fert, cleanup...I used to leave allot of money on the table until I got "mentored" by ...believe it or not, an accountant!

7. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had success with the same price structure. It usually is these add ons that boosts my profit margin. I pay $8- $10 for a flat and charge $50 per flat installed. I use a bulb auger on a drill and can install in less than an hour so the time picking up the flat is recovered too. I'm curious about the effectiveness of "all natural fertilizers" I could sell these easily.

8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Jeffex...re: the bulb auger...somewhere I saw one of these and thought...hmmm that might be a good productivy booster...just stick it in any portable drill??? where are these sold? dont recall seeing them very often...thanks

9. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

With what my dad does, he will every now and then have an Echo gas powered drill that they use for termite jobs. We have found that we can put in quite a few things when one person is on the drill and the other is filling in the holes and planting.

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is a good thought on how to make some additional money. It should not take anywhere near an hour to plant a flat so you should be make some good profit.

Gravely_Man