Fluid Film alternative?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Green Boys LawnCare, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Green Boys LawnCare

Green Boys LawnCare LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of a less expensive alternative to fluid film. I'm sure it's good stuff, just not very cheap. Thanks

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

my dad once told me........." you get what you pay for........."

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

True.

Depending on the application. WD-40 is an option for some things.

But Fluid Film impresses me.

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Green Boys, I'm the first one to rag on Dano about the cost of Fluid Film but like DRM says " sometimes you get what you pay for". I have tried almost every type of spray lube out there and keep going back to Fluid Film. It sticks and stays where it's needed. You just have to do alittle searching to find a good price. Over here TSC has had it on sale for 40% off several times in the last couple of months. I missed the first sale ( some ahole bought all they had in stock) but got a couple of cans the second sale (only 3 cans left) for the sale price. Next time I'm sending my brother in law to the store to buy it all, he lives 1/2 block away from the store. The stuff grows legs in the shop and in my trucks. I'm thinking of making some WD40 labels to paste over the Fluid Film ones so no one takes it. I've never used it under the mower deck but have heard it works good there too.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

What's cheaper, Buying Fluid Film or replacing worn/corroded/rusted parts ?

Most other brand penetrating/lubricating sprays are mineral spirits based and evaporate shortly after applying, Fluid Film does not/will not.

Which is the better deal ?

6. bigmower1

bigmower1 LawnSite Member

I never used fluid film. Is it a spray and what do people use it on?

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

8. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector.....dries to more of a waxy coating so it may be more appropriate for some applications, or not. I'm not saying one is better or cheaper than the other but there is one alternative.

9. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Holy cow, I pay $14 a can at my dealer. I have a couple cans but I will be going to McMaster for my FF needs next time.

And to answer the OP, a little goes a long way and doesn't harm any of the plants we work around. For that, there is no alternative

10. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

it's only the greatest corrosion protector and rust inhibitor ever,,,,