Fluid Film: Put to the test

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy858, May 19, 2008.

Do you think Fluid Film helps lower grass build up under decks?

1. Yes, if used more than once

24 vote(s)
  2. Yes, after one use

10 vote(s)
  3. No, it wears off on the first yard

23 vote(s)
  4. What's Fluid Film?

18 vote(s)
  1. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok heres the deal. We all know Fluid Film works great for preventing rust and corrosion, but what about keeping grass build up under decks down?

I have heard Fluid Film works good under decks from some people, and others say it makes no difference, and is a waste of your time.

Dano says that if applied throughly on the deck, there will be less build-up under the deck each week you continue to use it. I want to put this to the test, so this weekend I cleaned out the bottom of my turbo force deck and sprayed almost a full can of fluid film under it.

I am going to do the same after the end of each week, and see if the grass build up gets better as time goes on. I cut the same accounts every week, and usually have the same deck build up.

I will take pictures of the build up under the deck this weekend, and so on. So we can see if Fluid Film really stands up to this test.

What do you guys think?

Here are some pictures of the bottom of my deck:

2. lawnboy858

I am curious who has actually used fluid film under their mower decks, and if they have gotten results.

If so how long did it take?

3. BryceBentleyLCS

BryceBentleyLCS LawnSite Member

It works great just keep using it and applying weekly....:usflag:
  4. lawnboy858

I'm assuming that you apply it with the aerosol cans, right?

I can't believe there are 4 people on this poll that don't know what Fluid Film is.

Guys PM DANO50, and he will send you a free sample. After it runs out you will buy more, trust me.
  5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I got my free sample in the mail yesterday. thanks Dan. I'll try it out and see how well it works.
  6. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

Its been raining every other day here lately so we have to cut wet grass, started using fluid film this season and it has saved me alot of time scraping under the decks and its so much nicer to lift up a clean deck than one that has 10 lbs. of grass build up under it. :):):)
  7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

How well does it work on bagger tubes? Will it help prevent clogging in the discharge chute and tube?
  8. StoneDevil

StoneDevil LawnSite Member

Well i have made several cuts with my JD L120 this year and had the deck coated with FF after each cut i would just hose the deck off . after 2 weeks i dropped the deck flipped it over and found NO build up of grass. after hosing it off and letting it dry i coated it one more time. I will most likely just hose my deck off after each cut and might recoat in July
  9. lawnboy858

I'm sure Dano can answer that for you. It's only a matter of time before he chimes in....
  10. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used fluid film under my deck once. and i used it on some other things like hedge trimmers and so on. i used it and i could tell a difference. but stupid me pressured washed the deck and it all came off with the sensational smell that no one can describe. i hope to get some more very soon for my new mower, for it clumps way too much......unlpeased. owell