Flush Engine Oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Mickhippy, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I changed the oil and filter out of my Super Z yesterday and thought that there must be a way of flushing out ALL the old oil out.
    What I did was after it had drained, I put a little fresh oil in and let it drain out. This seemed to work ok as you could see the colour change to the clean oil!

Anyway, is there a proper way to do this? Waste of oil? Any thoughts?

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I just run the motor to get the oil warmed up (not hot). Then I let it drain for at least 20-30 minutes. Use a quality oil to start with and don't sweat the "flushing". Quality oil, scheduled changes with filter, and maintaining proper levels. Has anyone ever really heard of an oil related problem when doing these? :)

3. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Change the oil every 40 hrs. (filter every 120 hrs.) and it'll be fine. There is an engine flush you can buy at any auto parts store, but it's horrible for you engine, it washes the oil from the cylinders and crank journals/bearings. The brown color in your oil is washed from the cylinders. The viscosity isnt lost because its brown, it's lost when its old and been heated/cooled too many times.

4. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Do you bloks in Australia know about percentages??:laugh: :laugh:
    Just kiddin'.
    In reality, the percentage of "contaminated" oil remaining, after an oil change is sooo... small as to be negligible, provided you do as stated above; warm and drain reasonably well.
    Oh, and as also stated, DON'T use a flush.

5. Mickhippy

I try to change oil at 50hrs and filter at 100. Im just bored (rain and have the flu) and just got thinking is all!
    I do heat the oil first and let it drain for some time but I think there is still a little of the old still in there. I just thought getting completely all of the old oil out wouldnt hurt. Any heavier particles would be sitting at the bottom wouldnt they? Thats what I thought I'd try and get out.
    Like I said, Im bored! lol

6. Jim@MilkyWay

_REALLL_ nice avatar you got there miss WildOne. If you _EVER_ need old Jimbo to come help you out with a hard problem you might have, just let me know. I've got some vacation time built up>

7. Mickhippy

I believe 100% that you would be laughed at, with your 1"er!:laugh:

8. Jim@MilkyWay

I'D be laughed at???!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Chit.....Coke all over my keyboard again. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Jim@MilkyWay

You Didn't!?
    Calm down; it ain't that big a deal.
    Besides, it is time to pull the plug for tonight.

Later