1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

flux cored problems

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by scott's turf, Jan 6, 2003.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Tried flux cored wire on my lincoln 135 and it welded horribly. I reversed the polarity like indicated but the weld just did not hold up. I could take a hammer and bust the pieces apart ever time with ease. I have had no problems with using stardard wire and gas but thought it ould be easier not having to drag a tank of gas around with me. Any ideas what my problem could be?
  2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

do you have it running high enough?
  3. scott's turf

from NH

I had the thing cranked as hot as it would go. It spattered and was an ugly weld not mention that it didn't penetrate the steel at all. The standard wire and gas works great, just curious why the flux cored didn't.
  4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Was this a new roll? It's possible that the wire could be dirty. Check the contact tip in the gun, it may be worn. Is the wire the same size as what you were running before? Never ran fluc core but these are some things to check when there are problems.

5. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Flux cored wire is all I use and have never had this problem. I use .035 sized wire and have welded alot of things with it and they have always stood up. No idea on your problem but am curios on what it might be.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

??? DOnt turn it up all the way.. Look under the cover to set the dials and speed correctly for the steel you are welding.. The setting s are diff for gas and innershield.. I just got the same Lincoln 135 and am using .o35" wire and it s' making awsome welds for me... very little spatter.. You have to reverse the roller, reverse the polarity and also change the contact tip if it's not already .o35" , your also supposed to use a diff insulator tip but it was? I just didnt like it cause the arc was all out in the open and I was used to seeing the big tip thing around the contact tip , so I left the gas one on anyway.. But It is making awsome welds for me.... hey are you getting close enough ? or too close , your supposed to keep the tip about a 1/2" to 3/8" from the work ? I noticed when I varied that distance it made alot of spatter and crappy welds..
  7. Arc Burn

Arc Burn LawnSite Member

Scape,small world!i see on plowsite you bought the Lincoln,you'll be very happy with it,sounds like your already impressing yourself not to mention over here helping guys out with this stuff!With a little practice mig welding is not hard at all and you will save tons of money and downtime by being able to do your own repairs,good luck with it,Don
  8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

scott's turf

So what's the deal? Did you figure out the problem? Let us know.

9. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

keep it close, hot and maybe slow it down a little!!!

that welder should produce great welds flux or not........
  10. scott's turf

from NH

Thanks for all your replies guys. I converted back to gas for the time being because I need to weld up something up in an emergency and had no time for experimentation. I did reverse the polarity and change the tip. Maybe I just need some more practice. When I went back to gas it welded like a dream.

P.S. Do you find that the flux cored wire emits much more fumes? I found that I had massive headaches after welding with it.