Flyer customer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mblackburn, Jul 24, 2006.

1. mblackburn

mblackburn LawnSite Member

I hand out flyers and view the lawn (targeting those needing service) and put a price estimate...usually nail it sometimes I do it at slight loss once then up it for future cuts but mostly has worked well. I have a new call wants me to come do it at the price i mentioned on flyer. I arrange for thursday, but a neighbor of hers called and I can do two on same st tommorrow so I called her back and said I can do tommorrow. She is like that is better but Im out of town and can mail you check or you can pick it up thursday. Mostly Im cash and carry..leave check for me on bbq pit etc, or mail it to me, but for a flyer call back with no face to face meeting no signed contract my wife is leary(she sounds like a college kid or just very young adult on phone with an older person I would do it no worries). I figure 30 minutes time for 25 dollars is worth the gamble she said she wanted a weekly service so for a potential 100 per month I think its worth a gamble for the 1 cut then if payment problem exist drop her....now if the lawn is knee high I say cash payment the day I mow or sign an agreement at least....any comments?

2. JT1304

JT1304 LawnSite Member

I say cut it. You are already going to be there, might as well (try to) make that $$$ while you can. Had a very similar case a few years ago. Lady sounded young, but actually turned out to be a college prof.
    Go for it, it may actually become one of your monthlys.

3. mblackburn

mblackburn LawnSite Member

she wants me to cut every week so makes for a regular customer if we get past the first cut plus weeklys are easier to mow as less growth and edging never gets out of hand

4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Tell her to leave the check under the mat or in the grill and when you get there check to see if the check is there before you mow. If it isn't there, don't mow.

5. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

you can always remember where she lives if she doesn't pay. don't judge a book by it's cover, you might be passing up a good client.