Flyer Idea

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kc2006, Jan 26, 2006.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I was talking on gophers site about flyer ideas and Soupy tossed out an idea.

The idea would be to put a title at the top of the flyer stating a monthly price based on 12 month payments. For example, my minimum is $25 a cut, 28 cuts that 700 a year, $58.33 a month for 12 months. So title would read

"Weekly Lawn Service Starting at $58 a Month!"

Now then of course it would have the "small print" explaining the price is based on 12 month payments for 28 cuts up to XXXX sq ft.

Now my thought is, this would be one heck of an attention grabber. If it didn't get people to instantly call inquiring about it, it would at least make them read more into the flyer, thus hopefully allowing them to remember the company name.

Anyone ever try this? Whats everyones thoughts on it? I don't think it would so much cause price shoppers to call, just because the price is cheap its really not. We would explain when people call for estimates that the price on the flyer is for up to X sq ft and is 12 monthly payments not 7.

Thoughts?

btw, anyone that I ran the idea past so far has instantly perked up and said "how are you going to be able to do that? its so cheap?" So it causes people to want to hear the details.

2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Kurt,
    I think it is a good idea for several reasons.It may draw people in that want to stay on a monthly budget like they do with their other bills,and it can help you in the slow months in the winter with a steady cash flow.I was just talking to TIEDEMAN (Troy) last week.He has some of his customers set up on a plan like this now.I would suggest trying to talk to him about it to get some help.I'm sure you have read many of his posts here,he's a great guy always willing to help out.Good luck with it I hope it works out for you.

3. Prideland

Prideland LawnSite Member

That sounds like a good way to warm up the winter season, with some residual income. Banks may like to see that too, if you ever need to grow the business. May even get some snow removal business, they are already sending a payment, not too hard to add a few bucks.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Tried it and not worth the hassle. people get pizzed when you tell them they pay for 12 months and your only gonna be working for 8 months. The only way it would work is to jack up the price and offer snow removal for the months your not cutting

5. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

Most guys do that here, but we cut 2 times a month in winter so it might be easier here to get people to commit to that. You might have a hard time finding people who are willing to pay you when your not actually working on their property.

I had thought about it, but I have had a lot of people move and I dont really want to make early payment clauses in my service agreement to recoup my money if they leave early or end service. It is a good idea in theory.

6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

My thought was to use it as an attention grabber. If I get accounts that want to go on a 12 month paying cycle thats great (money year round is good). But if I gain customers from it that want to just be billed as we go, thats fine too.

I'm just trying to find an attention grabbing header for my flyers to get the most interest out of people. Getting people to call is the hardest part I think. I can sell my service after that.

7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

You could do this like Mac said. Give them a price for clean-ups,maintenance,fert, snow and what ever else they want total it up,then divide by 12.If you offer it as an option it may get the phone to ring like you said.

8. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Try FREE LAWN CARE if you are just trying to "grab attention". I know I personally hate being missled by advertisers trying to "grab my attention" and hiding the details in the "small print". They never get my business.

9. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hotels usually advetise their rates as "$69 per night (double occupancy)" which means it's $69 per person as long as there are two people. Otherwise it's just $138 per night.

That makes alot of people mad.

10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We NEVER use price as an attention grabber. You are better off using a % off, or giving away something with the purchase of another to get customers. Once a customer hears there's a catch, they usually shy away.

I just feel that anyone can sell a service if their price is low enough. Think outside of the box sometimes. I always tell people I'd rather be a little more on my price and have them tell thier friends that we did a great job for a fair price... then have them say he was the cheapest, but I would never use them again. :)