1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

flyer on the door.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 28, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you get a call for a lawnmowing acount. you drive over, look at the property. you say to yourself, "$35." as you're walking to the door, you notice a door hanger. u read it. it's from a lawn service. the price says, "$35". what is your next move- 1) remove flyer, crumble, put in pocket. 2) leave the flyer there, knock on the door, and quote $33 bucks. 3) other (please explain)
  2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Hand them the other estimate and tell them your the same price. Then you explain why your better, then sign them up right away.
  3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Ignore the flyer, quote $35.00 and assume you can sell the job because you are there in person.
  4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Stick to your price and sell yourself. A flyer can't sell itself not to mention YOU were the one that was called NOT the guy from the flyer...:weightlifter:
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Bid it lower 2 bucks, make it up elsewhere in hedge trimming, aeration etc. It's all about getting your foot in the door.
  6. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Have your price printed on your door hanger already, so your first visit there after they've called you you're not ringing the bell, you're starting up your trimmer and someone back in the office is charging their credit card.
  7. tez34

tez34 LawnSite Member

Bid what you think the lawn is worth not what someone else is going to quote.
    If you think this lawn is even a $40 mow sell them that. Don't worry about anybody else but you.
  8. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

I just had almost this same discussion with a friend of mine today. I agree with this statement. I just looked at a lawn today (they werent home), and figured that it was a $40 lawn. It is in a neighborhood that I really want to get in, very nice and upscale. It is within my route already. So anyways, the homeowner calls me tonight to talk things over. With all other factors, I decide to tell him $38, and go into the fact that I think it is a $40-42 lawn, but I am giving him a prefered rate due to the reasons above. I think that he was impressed b/c I guess what he is paying (he says other company is unreliable with schedule etc.) it made me look like I really knew what I was talking about (boy did I have him fooled :) ) Point being, if I priced him at $40, my chances of signing him were 50/50 but the fact that I lowered my price $2 ($8/month) I signed him on the spot. Is this lowballing? The way I look at it, I got my foot in the door and I already have an estimate for landscaping worked out for him (charged a couple of $'s extra). I would never decrease a price by more than $2, also this lawn is flat and easy to do. Do you think this is the wrong way of going about things? I have never done it before, just wanted some feedback.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the correct answer is -3)other
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'd sell it for more, and the people would be happy they are PAYING more. They know they will be getting experience, knowledge, dependability - from a company who has been around for several years, and most of all - value. Many times, people will spend a bit more and be happy they did. We all do it. When we buy a tv, a stereo, a computer, a fridge, or whatever. We always spend UP just a bit.