Flyer/plastic bag/couple rocks for weight/on the stoop

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JohnnyCuts, Apr 23, 2008.

1. JohnnyCuts

JohnnyCuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

I'm thinking I can get 1000 of these out by myself in a day using a moped. I don't like the thought of "littering" someone's stoop but it's a very small step from doorknob hangers. Anyone try this/what do you think?
  2. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

People down here really frown on it. I actually got shot at with a shotgun a few years ago. It was a long driveway and it was 7:00PM but come on!!!! God Bless TEXAS.:gmctruck:
  3. JohnnyCuts

from iowa

Do they frown on the plastic bag on the stoop or using a moped?
  4. FDuce

FDuce LawnSite Member

5. JohnnyCuts

from iowa

Uhh.. no seriously
  6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Topic of discussion:
    Flyer/plastic bag/couple rocks for weight/on the stoop

There have been more than a couple of 'hillrat-vendors' around here in the past couple years that have been littering up our neighborhood...and others... with this 'technique' of marketing.

They don't even place the flyer on the stoop, however; they just throw the damn bags out onto people's driveways ! :cry: :hammerhead:

There's just one word for this :

7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Johnny Cuts, I don't do mowing anymore...I do lawn spraying, landscaping, seeding, lighting, etc....

But the thing I've found through the years I've been in the green industry...25 years that referrals are the way to get new business; at least the "type" of business that's 'apt' to stay with you for awhile !

If you want to go door-to-door....fine.
    But don't be a coward and leave a plastic bag, and run !
    Knock on the door, wait there and then ASK for the decision-maker(s) for lawn/ landscape maintenance vendors.....and make a good 1st impression!

I think you'll find that a BETTER strategy to approach the folks you ALREADY mow for with some type of "referral discount coupon" !!

For example: Joe Bloe has been your customer for two years now, and you mow his yard 25 times a year at $50 a mowing.

The referral discount you give can be a fairly high "%", but for a relatively short period of time...

" 20% off " catches people's eyes.....and giving them that discount for only 3 months shouldn't "break your bank", right ?!?

A good idea for such a " referral discount " is that the neighbor / friend that is referred must remain your customer for, say at least 6 months, before you give Joe his "20% off for 3 months" rebate !!

How many times would you mow his yard in 3 months....10, 11, 12 times maybe ? We'll take "11 times" as an example, here.
    11 x 50 = 550
    550 x .20 = $110 referral discount (again for 3 months mowing...assuming the other client has stayed with you for "X" number of months, too !!)

.....Ask for referrals !!!! :)

Good Luck !
  8. JohnnyCuts

from iowa

I agree throwing them in the driveway is unprofessional and referrals are the best way to get good customers. Is placing them on the stoop rather than on the doorknob unproffesional? Would people think negatively about someone driving up their drive on a moped, pulling a plastic bag out of their bag and tossing it a couple feet up to their stoop? More so than someone walking up and placing a doorhanger on their door? I can make a point for the opposite because I know some people dont like strangers at their door and if you never get off the moped they'd never feel threatened.
  9. F3Nelson

F3Nelson LawnSite Member

I am not a big fan of them.

I guess if you get work from them then why not do it, I mean its all about expanding customer base, right?
  10. ViceNut

ViceNut LawnSite Member

no offense but I would die laughing at someone pulling up to my house selling anything on a moped. Much less lawn maint./landscaping or whatever. Thats obvious that you need something that can pull equipment and look prof. Mopeds around here are known as liquor-sicles. :laugh: