flyer responce %

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by theo, Feb 15, 2006.

1. theo

theo LawnSite Member
    from ontario

I know this question has been asked alot and i have used the search on this site to get info but iam going to ask it again.What responce percentage do you have by putting flyers in the local newspaper?How many times do you put it in and when would you start doing it,my season starts April first.Also do you have better responces with newspaper inserts or door hangers.I know thier is a lot of varaibles from one person to anothers but any info would be a great help....thanks.

2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

with flyers and door hangers dont expect to see more than 1 or 2 % return. i dont do the paper because it cost too much for the possible return , i do use the phone book though.

3. theo

theo LawnSite Member
    from ontario

.................Thanks for the reply.From your experince how many times did you do it ,what iam trying to get at is did you put flyers in just once and get 1%/2% or did you do it more than once say like four weeks in a row to get the 1%/2% return.Also how due you find the responce with the phone book?

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Here in the northeast (southeastern massachusetts) the only form of advertising that really works well is direct mail. The yellow pages worked well in the 1970s but everyone & their brother is in there now. Newspapers don't really do it , in this area anyway. Just MHO over 3 decades in this crazy business.

5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I use door hangers, 1-2% is about right. I try to target neighborhoods where I already have customers. I trying something new this year, the 5 top neighborhoods are getting door hangers 3 times. now, then in about 6 weeks they hit them again and again in sept. them more you get your name in front of potential customers the better your chances!

6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i wouldnt bombard them with flyers or they will get tired of seeing them and just file 13 'em .and never read them .i only do it once in a while . as far as the phonebook there are only 2 of us in there so i do pretty good with it . but seriously word of mouth will prob get you the best results.

7. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

On offense but that's bad info.
    post cards should be done over & over , the more the better .
    It's like seeing the same comercial , you remember it after so many times.
    Word of mouth only works if you have been around a while

8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Can you show me where i buy word of mouth..........calling trugreen in the morning to tell them they dont need a sales force anymore. Hell no company on earth will need one.

9. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I cant agree enough! if they don't know you want their business there they will call TG. you have to build name recognition. word of mouth is great but if you want to pick up a couple hundred customers it will take a while if that is all you have. most customers aren't going to call the first time they hear of your company so you consistently "drip" your advertising on them.

10. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

We have tried every type of advertising over the years.(2% is average response)

Currently use post cards to addresses and areas we want to work. (no blanketing whole areas)

We design and print our own cards, that way we can change with the pest etc.( Crabgrass,Dandelions,Grubs,Winterizer fert. Bagworms, Jap. Beetle etc.)
    Once you creat the basic card, just change it enough to get their attention.

Four cards to a sheet of card stock.

You have to keep your name out there.