Flyer same area more than once?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Leaves of Grass, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Leaves of Grass

Leaves of Grass LawnSite Member

First off, let me say that I have been looking over this site the last two months and have found more useful information that I could hope for. This is my 5th year in the lawn care business, but my first year with my own company. Starting small and still working another job full time. My question is does anyone flyer the same houses more than once in the same season. I have already done my "first round" of flyers and was planning on doing two more. One this week and one around the first week of April. By then the mowing season will be in full swing. Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Do them every month.....just like Scotts and the "mowit" companies. Timing doesn't have to be so perfect that way.

3. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

yea we cycle around about every other month.

4. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

One of my guys had a good idea while we were out doing doorhangers. He suggested holding back a couple hundred dh'ers and when we do get a new customers the day we cut maybe hit the neighbors again with another doorhanger. I like that idea, then they see your trailer in their area and the doorhanger might make a better connection. I think I'll give it a try. Other than that I did consider hitting the better areas a 2nd or 3rd time with the same doorhanger. Good luck with it.

5. Proc's Lawncare

Proc's Lawncare LawnSite Member

I agree as well. It takes like 3X before an advertisement is said to really work, so the more you can put your name in front of your potential customer the better chance of success you will have in getting them. ALWAYS advertise, door hangers, fliers, smoke signals.... do what you have to do so people learn your name and services offered.

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I, too, say hit them again. That way you are continuously targeting those prime areas you work in. I've pursued the same 600 home neighborhood here for years, and now about 2/3 of all my work is done in that tight knit community.

Density is crucial in this game. It lowers your costs, enables you to watch the yards, and builds serious name recognition and neighbor-envy.

7. BkServicesLLC18

BkServicesLLC18 LawnSite Member

I had Just started hanging door hangers for the first time.... how much response do you tipacally see?

8. LBLC_LCO

LBLC_LCO LawnSite Senior Member

I think 1-2% is typical.

9. BkServicesLLC18

BkServicesLLC18 LawnSite Member

Thats pretty low...looks like i have a lot of hangers to hang!

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

With the SMALL return on hangers, and the high expense, I couldn't emigane anyone, doing it twice, and then a 3 rd time ?

door hangers proved to be a VERY poor way to advertise, it's VERY expensive only to reach 1 potenchal customer. a simple ad in the newspaper reaches "the circulation of that area" and it's there forever. flyers get tossed as soon as someone looks at it.
    IF they look at it.

and how long does it take to reach 2000 customers. 1 day? 1/2 day ?
    WOW 1/2 day I make 500.00
    Why would someone use door hangers ?

spend a 1/2 day to get a 2% return? come on guys surely NOT ?