Flyer timing

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by j.kelley, Jan 29, 2003.

1. j.kelley

j.kelley LawnSite Member

Guys, just wanted to know when the best time for handing out flyers works best. I was thinking around the 2nd week of Feb.
    The highlight of the flyer is a 5 step fert. program. I would like to get people signed up as early as possible. Thanks.

:blob2: Give 110% and you will be rewarded!

2. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

My advertising dollars are put to wotk in late Feb. thru April. I also try to do a send out when the weather will be favorable for the next week or so. If somebody gets a lawn care flyer on a day that it is raining or snowing, lawn care is probably not on the top of their mind. I have had people call at all times of the year, and some people hold onto a flyer for several years before calling. Its funny how it works sometimes.

3. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure on the best times in the spring, but I can tell you the best time of the year is in august when it's 100 degrees plus outside close to the weekend. People do not like thinking about having to cut their own grass that time of year.

I have had mixed returns on the spring time I'll put out flyers about a month or so before first cut one year and get a ton of calls and the next I don't get any it's hard to say why.

but I always get a good return in august things are slow usually because of the heat so there is always room for more work Around here I will only get about 6 cuts in before winter so if I don't like the job I can put up with it for that long and not do it the next year. then the next spring I already have all the routes figured etc etc and can be more selective in the spring advertizing.

4. j.kelley

j.kelley LawnSite Member

Thank guys!

5. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

I always thought my service brochures work the best a couple weeks before the first prime time cutting really begins. Early March- Mid April. I pass out spring cleanup flyers in Feb.

Hope this helps!

6. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do the bulk of my advertising in late Feb and early March. You dont want to do it to early. I always try to strike just as people start thinking about the lawn again after winter. If you do it to early your ad will be thrown out by Spring.

7. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

i'm still young in the business but this is my third mowing season comming up, in my area, georgia, i'm shooting for mid march for putting out flyers. i've learned that timing is definately important, put em out to soon and they go in the trash, put em out to late and alot of people have already found their landscaper for the year. about two weeks before prime opening season has done well by me . after that, i staple them to my invoices and recoat the neighborhoods i'm working in. good luck, the scaper

8. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to consider more than one flyer application. Feb/March depending on your zone. Our season runs March-Nov and we do 3 mailing to the same area during the season. People become use to see our name in their mail box. good luck

9. Tyner Lawn Service

Tyner Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Kelley, good luck on fliers here in town. It all has to do with the weather, how many, and the mood people are in. I've seen times when 10,000 fliers will bury you with work and the next time nothing much.

10. colemitchell89

colemitchell89 LawnSite Member

i agree feb and march seem to be the best time im often back to constant work by march. here in ohio right now theres a foot of snow on the ground so putting out flyers right now doesnt seem like yard wprk is on peoples minds right now. but im going to try putting out several applications of flyers this year.