Flyer Tips

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by rescuedlawn, Nov 5, 2013.

1. rescuedlawn

rescuedlawn LawnSite Member

This is my first attempt at making a flyer to advertise my services. Any comments/critiques will be greatly appreciated.

I do not have a logo at the moment. Not sure how to do one w/o paying someone.

Also, I put on here that I am licensed and insured but Im not planning on getting insurance till I get a few clients. Do you think that will pose a problem?

2. rescuedlawn

well it looks like Im unable to upload it at this time

3. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesn't seem like the best of ideas to advertise that you are insured when you are not. What are you going to do if someone calls because they see the flyer, and say:
    I see that you are licensed and insured, come give me an estimate and bring a certificate of insurance.

If you are going to go into a business, do it right from the start. You will be a lot happier

4. rescuedlawn

Im working with an underwriter right now and have it set up to where all I have to do is call him and he will email me proof within 24 hrs.

5. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Then put that in your flyer, because if you say your insured in the flyer, its not accurate. You asked for opinions, I gave one. You don't have to justify to me what you are going to do.

6. M&L

M&L LawnSite Member

Its a potential problem. There are people who's job is to bust fake contractors and people who falsely advertise. A policy in the next 24 hours won't take back an $800 ding on a new car.

You never know who's going to call you either. Earlier this year, I got a call from a lady who worked for the Agricultural commissioners office. Turned out to be a great client, but if had I fibed on some stuff, she could have shut me down quick.
    Do as you wish, but if it bites back, you deserve it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

In the years I've been doing this I have never once been asked if I was insured, or "licensed." A while back I think I put that on some business cards but that was years ago and I don't anymore. Am I licensed (yes I have a business tax license) am I insured (yes, I'm drowning in insurance) but I don't advertise it as it's never been an issue as far as getting customers in my area. Now I don't do very much commercial work at all but you can bet that a commercial customer is going to want to see your insurance cert.

8. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're not insured, do not falsely advertise that you are insured.

And if you intend on operating a legitimate business, get the necessary insurance.

9. rescuedlawn

I appreciate all the input. I have not put the brochures out yet. From the looks of it I really need to get that insurance before I advertise. I will try change my file settings and post what I have come up with for more critiques.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

Tip: don't waste time flyering.
    Posted via Mobile Device