1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Flyers (am I waiting to long)

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Husky03, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

Alright I have 1000 flyers printed with coupons and I am ready to start passing them out, but I really don't know when to start. I don't want to wait to long and have people sign up with other LCO's, but I don't want to waste my fliers passing them out way to early. It is still in the 30 degree area here in Indiana and we may very well still get some snow flurries soon. Should I start delivering this weekend or wait a week or two longer. Keep in mind, it is only my parents and I delivering so it takes time. I am sared I am going to wait to long and miss the rush of customer signing up with other LCO's.

Also, have you guys found it to be more successful to pass out more fliers to more areas or pass out the same flier in one area more than once?

Thanks... :)
  2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been sitting on mine waiting for some nicer weather, I was going to start around this time of the year but this weather is not favoring a good response right now, a foot of snow sunday, I'm holding off for the very first real nice weather days, when people will be thinking about the lawn not the 15 deg. snowy weather.
  3. Husky03

Do you worry about your potential customers signing with others or am I worrying to much? I need to grow a LOT this year so I need as many customers as possible.
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

We've had advertising going for the last two weeks and will continue for the next three months or longer if I decide to extend. I know we'll be cold longer than you will in Indiana. Or there about the same time.

I'd start now and keep them going if you have to have more printed for a second round.
  5. Husky03

Randy, have you had many calls over the last few weeks?

6. andersonmowing23

andersonmowing23 LawnSite Member

Since we both live in Indiana, thought I could give you some tips that I have found that works. In February what I like to do is if we get a warm day pass them out. Since this is Indiana we usually do get a couple of those warm ones. We did just get one last week got up to 60 in the afternoon. It seems to me that when it gets warm people want to think about spring, even if it is only for one day. I will start to pass out my fliers starting in just a couple of days when March 1st, roles around. Will probably continue until somewhere around the third week in March. Good Luck with everything, and where are you located in Indiana. Am located just North of Indianapolis.
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I had 600 go out 2 weeks ago...only one call, but it's still early. 8000 will go out in about a week. 14,000 around April 1st and the other 7,400 will go out May 1st....if they need to.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Exactly how much are looking to grow? I hope not too much with only 1000 flyers!
  9. Maxwells

Maxwells LawnSite Member
    from NZ

Hi Walker Talker - What is your strike rate with flyers ? how many new lawns do you expect from your flyers ?
  10. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

my rule of thumb is to start when it's about time to start applying pre-emergent. I don't do it earlier than that because it isn't cost efficient - most people aren't thinking about it yet when it's still cold and brown. (centipede motly here) and your hard work will be tossed in the trash. I also use several ways of doing it here.

1.Door hangers with individual (mow, edge, trim, and blow) prices written at the bottom for every yard I hang one at

2.I hire a local lady here who puts together several flyers at one time and hangs them in plastic bags on doors - those are all the same general information flyers. I can choose what neighborhoods to have them distributed in - and if you sweet talk her just right, you can have your ad on top to be the first one seen (before it's tossed in the trash without even being looked at - so your company logo will at least get some face time)

3.an Ad in the paper 2 weeks out, 1 week out, and at the start of greenup, then once or twice a month thereafter.

4.hook your trailer up when you are putting out hangers - yes, it uses more gas, but the signs on the trailer before the season kicks off act as a moving billboard all over town and in the neighborhoods. people will see it. and every once in a while, when someone calls you, they'll say - "I saw you in the neighborhood", or "I saw you at a red light and jotted down your number"....