Flyers, are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frosty03, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Sure I would like some more accounts, but are flyers really productive and worth the hassle? I have thought about it, but for me, I just haven't been able to justify them.

Would like some other points of view.

Thanks in advance.

Frosty

2. vanguard

vanguard LawnSite Member

I use them two fold, the walking helps me get back in shape after the winter hibernation, and build tighter routes. For an example we've done just a few so far (600-700) I've gotten 3 calls and out of those 1 contract so far. This is about what I got as far as percentage's last year as well.

Good Luck on your decision. :weightlifter:

3. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I made mine on the computer and purchased some light green paper and made my own copeis for around $18.

4. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I always believed the 'biz' is mostly referral. No accounts = no referrals. The more accounts you have... the more referrals you get. Any advertising = good advertising.

Think about it this way... if your biz fails because of lack of advertising in any way... I'll bet you'll "advertise" your equipment for sale.

Besides, what's a little legwork in the off season... specially with flyers... you can target directly the customers you want, in time, creating a tighter route. The ultimate goal of any lawn service.

5. cward

cward LawnSite Member

I have made flyers the last two years. I average around 1-2% yards for my effort. I did mine similiar to Budget. What I do is leave a blank line for the mowing (weekly) price and also leave a spot for my signature above my printed name. Kind of a personal touch. I figured not every yard was worth the same. I take a few minutes, look at the yard, price it, sign it, hang it and move on to the next one. Just one more thing to do in Jan & Feb. I really enjoy the angry folks who scream at me for leaving flyers!