1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Flyers, Doorhangers, or postcards?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by touhey33, Feb 26, 2008.

1. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

Which of these shoud I get, which have the best response rate? I need to order them within the week, and can't decide which would be better.
  2. abryconlawn

abryconlawn LawnSite Member

Personally, I think that doorknob hangers work the best. I pinpoint all my target areas and drive around in the truck with a helper putting them on the mailboxes. Putting them on the mailboxes cuts down on a lot of time, I mean a lot, from walking. Also, the mailbox is the first thing that most people see when they come home. Have something bright, not too flashy, so it will catch their eye. You have to realize so people don't even use their front door. I have very good responses from doing this. I personally don't think the other ways are good and aren't the best way to spend your money.
  3. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I have had good response from door hangers in the past. I am trying post cards this year and can't imagine the response should not be as good or better than the hangers. I am sending out a nice looking postcard that at the very least they will give a good look at. The only trouble with door hangers is that sometimes they can blow of the door handle on a windy day. The flyers are too much trouble to put out. If you roll them up, some people will trash them before they even unroll them. The door hangers are much easier to distribute. I would go with the hangers or postcards or both.
  4. AllHardscaping

AllHardscaping LawnSite Member

coonman, use a rubber band on the holr of the door hange and loop it around the door handle/knob. That worked well last year
  5. abryconlawn

PaverProtector is right. I learned this the hard way. The weather does factor a lot into advertising sometimes. It might cost you a couple of bucks for rubber bands but in the end you'll have more hangers staying on doors which as a result could increase call backs.
  6. LawncareAmericaLLC

LawncareAmericaLLC LawnSite Senior Member

i found rolled flyers in the actual door help me then putting in mailboxes because of the overwehlming supply of flyers already in there. for every 5000 i get back 1% not bad. Keep on Cutting
  7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Door hangers need to be put out on calm days.
  8. abryconlawn

Another you may want to look into are zip packs (that's what they call them around my town). It's a 4"x9.5" sheet of paper that is like a mini flyer. They get sent out into the mail with other flyers from different companies and industries to various people throughout the towns around me. The only drawback to this is you take the chance of people not physically seeing the flyers inside with the other different flyers. In relation to the doorknob hangers were you know the customer is going to see them.

There is two sides to this though. You can spend a ton of time going around and hoping to get the volume of flyers out that this company would do for a far better price. I don't think that I could fill my gas tank up enough for the price that they do this service for.

They mail these things to three different cities around me. 10,000 flyers to each city. 30,000 flyers total to all of the three cities. I about had a heart attack when she told me the price. $600 for 30,000 flyer and they do all the design, stuffing, and postage. They've been around for 25 years and there work is very good. There isn't any way I could do this amount of doorknob hangers for the price there doing the mailing for. Thought I'd throw that idea out to you because I just came about learning about this the other day. There are pros and cons to doing it this way. I'm weighing my options on what I'm going to do.
  9. LawncareAmericaLLC

Thats a good price whats the name of the company and do u know if the service southeast michigan thank smike
  10. LawncareAmericaLLC

i just went to quantumDigital.com and for 12000 postcards was 6200.00. Wow pretty expensive if you ask me. check it out QuantumDigital.com