flyers for installs and service

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by therainman, May 20, 2003.

1. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

Do any of you use any flyers to drum up work?
    Irrigation is a pretty new idea to my area, and trying to educate people by word of mouth alone is going too slowly to pay the help. Any samples or help would be greatly appreiciated.

shawn

2. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Shaw I have tried the fliers before with no luck. But some how I got a list of people that had irrigation meters in my town and they some how got a letter from me :D . I have only sent out 200 of em 150 last year and 50 just the other day. I got 2 calls last year from em not bad. I might be wrong but you need to network with the mow and blow guys in yer area. While you are doin that you need to build some gooooooood relationships with em. If you treat there customers good and they will refer you work. Good Luck

3. therainman

from IL

SLEEPY,
    the other mow and blows are how I am currently getting my work.
    They can only put out the word so much though. I seem to only be having a problem with educating the public about what we do, and what it will do for their lawn. That is the type of flyer i am looking for. Something informational. Something to preach benifits to the potetial customers. thanks though.

shawn

4. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a company that sells real nice fliers, brouchures. www.growpro.com

5. earthtool

earthtool LawnSite Member

I agree with sleepy head, spend a little with a graphic design person so that the flier can also be a mailer, ( like a postcard on good paper stock) a graphic design can cost +/- $60.00. Well worth the money. Buy a bunch of rubber bands and stable them to the card and there you go, you have a door hanger. Good Luck

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We've always had excellent success with flyers. It's just a numbers game - you put enough out - you will get calls.

For years and years I used this flyer;
    http://www.cybcon.com/~jimlewis/Flyer.bmp
    which cost me 2 cents per copy.

This year, we decided to spend a little more money and we had this flyer made;
    http://proof.hiresstudios.com/lewislandscapefinal/
    for about 10 cents per copy.

Both have yeilded great results.

The thing to remember about flyers is that you can't just put out 100 or 200 and expect to be swamped. You have to put out 1000 or 2000 and expect a few maintenance accounts to come out of it along with maybe a few installations or irrigaiton systems.

So far this year we've put out 2000-3000 and I've landed a good 10 new year-round maint. accounts, 2 big installations, and several decent sized clean-up jobs.

7. therainman

from IL

Thanks alot Jim

those fliers look great

8. Brendan

Brendan LawnSite Member

Nice flyer Jim.

Do you get a higher % of replys from residential or commercial.

Brendan.

9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Ooops. I forgot this thread was in the Irrigation section of lawnsite when I posted it. Oh well, my comments still apply - even though I don't have specific flyers geared toward irrigation only. I'm sure you'd get a LOT more calls for irrigation work if you handed out flyers specifically highlighting irrigation.
    I don't do commercial work. So I can't really tell you. We just take these flyers to nicer sub-divisions where a bunch of upper-middle class or just upper class homes are packed in close to one another and put them out door to door.