flyers in bags on driveways with weights

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by colandscaper, Jan 11, 2010.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Two things really bug me at our home. One is a small paper called Food Day that they throw in the driveway in a bag. I keep forgetting to call them, to stop delivery for what we never asked for.

And the other is the aeration services and pizza restaurants that tape their flyers to our house.

They could at least get off their lazy butts and slide it under the doormat or something.

2. klcjustin

klcjustin LawnSite Member

The sad part is that you really are responsible. You lucked out with having the other contractor pay for it. I understand green bag and all but you need to examine the lawn a little better than that. Some kid could have left his green golf ball he stole from his dad in their lawn and you hit it. You cant sue the kid can you? No.

3. klcjustin

you are all right. Tacky, Lazy and not professional. Get door hangers and hire kids to walk the hoods or direct mail. You don't want your future clients calling you because you littered in their yards. You want to send a good impression. Cold call them, look in the city records and get new home buyer info and get them that way. Flyers were great back 15 years ago but you can get them on the net and better yet make your current customers extremely happy, happy customers are you best salesmen!!!

4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

So you spend hours a day walking every square inch of every lawn?

5. klcjustin

Responsibility is part of running a business. You are responsible for what you do. and yes. We do check the properties before we fling debris out from the mower. If we didn't then my insurance would probably be a little higher if I couldn't find the person who "accidentally dropped" what ever it is I hit. Especially if you want to keep your mowers working good and save on replacing parts and hurting personal property. It's like the guys who run over the sewer clean outs on their first mow. Look at what you are doing before you do it. Common sense.

6. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

Someone told me to do this using a rock. He is one of my competitors but kinda a friend also. Anyway it sucked. I put out about 2,000 and I got more complaints. I had 2 customers sign up. I am guessing maybe 20 calls of complaints. All it told me is well they took the time to read it that is for sure. Even another local company asked me about it.

So, from someone who has done it I say don't do it. You can get a lot out fast that is for sure but not worth it.

7. colandscaper

colandscaper LawnSite Member

thanks for the input. you are one of the guys that actually took the time to give a legitimate reply. unlike everyont else who likes to get into a pissing contest because a there bus. is sad and they have nothing better to do or b they need to feel important and putting other people down on some website (where no one knows who they really are) helps them achieve that. Thanks I truly appreciate it.

8. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone who even would consider throwing rocks on someones lawn to advertise is a dirt bag. No wonder why the industry is looked down on. I am so done with this thread. :hammerhead:

9. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

You just called me a dirt bag!

I don't appreciate it because I am in know way a dirt bag. I have been doing this for more than 10 years. I would have never done it but it was something we tried. Why? Because someone else did it. Then I saw it in of all places a manual on how to get more business.

So, please don't call me a dirt bag.

10. colandscaper

colandscaper LawnSite Member

dont worry about johnny moron. He is exactly the kind of idiot I was talking about. When your in bus. that is what you do, try out new ideas or at least throw the idea out there and talk about it.

Hey Johnny the industry is looked down on because of classless people like you. I'm sorry that your unhappy with your bus. or life or whatever, but that doesnt give you the right to degrade somebody for having an idea. So thank you for being done with the thread I dont want to waste another second reading your bs.