Flyers In Mail Boxes?????

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by rlc321, Jun 12, 2004.

1. rlc321

rlc321 LawnSite Member

I have a bunch of housing developments around my area that have the type of mail boxes with the slot under them where the newspaper goes. Can I put a flyer in this slot is that legal? These are the molded plastic mail boxes you buy at home depot . The postman at the post office said it was ok just want to make sure I dont want to get fined. Thanks for your imput.

2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

If the postman said it is ok it probably is but I'd play it a little safer because they can get pretty nasty about that type of thing. Might want to get the postmaster's okay first. That way you can bring him in on it if anything goes wrong.

3. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I hang flyers off mailbox flags. I do not get fined and get about 7-9 calls for about 800-900 flyers.Hope it helps.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I have found that if you get the ok from the postman then you are probably fine. I know around here that they and the local postmasters could care less about flyers on or in mailboxes. We use the slots or hang them but lots of businesses just put them in the box. I have not heard of anyone getting fined. A few were "spoken to" after a citizen complaint but went right back to doing it. I guess it depends on the area.

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I've hung flyers on mailboxes, but never put them in. Well...once I did back in 1986 and got a call from the local post office about it.

Nowadays, I just hang flyers on the door because around here, most boxes are by the door anyway and putting a flyer with the mail means fewer people will actually read the flyer. Hang it on the door and the message gets through to a few more people per hundred. That's my theory, anyway.

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

DO NOT DO IT!!! The law says that any thing put in that mail box must have a US postage stamp on it. Just a few years back I seen a thing on 60 Minutes where this 15 year old kid did that and his mother had to pay thousands of dollars in fines and the postage for the flyers to boot. Why to you thank the newspaper puts up there own boxes for the paper boy to use instant of using the mail box? You may go to Wal-mart and get your mail box put the US Postal Service still owns it from there point of view. Do you want the postal service going "postal" on you?
    And by law the mail slot in a door is the same thing as a mail box. A local video here in town put one in for night drop offs and got in trouble because it said on the flap US MAIL. The post office said that they have to grind off the US MAIL on the flap of the door slot or remove it alltogether

7. r8derman

r8derman LawnSite Member

Hey dude,
    On the box, but not in it and you won't get skrewed with.

Good luck.

8. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

it pays to be nice to the local postal carriers...some could care less others are very hard nosed...chances are, if you wave at the guy/gal and small talk now and again...thy'll be gental with you

anything in OR on a box is illegal

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi rlc321,

You can also consider door hangers.