Flyers in Mailboxes

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by steviepowers, Feb 2, 2006.

1. steviepowers

steviepowers LawnSite Member

Is it legal to place my flyers in mailboxes to protect them from the elements and insure they are found?

2. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

i do believe that is a federal offense

3. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

No! Any part of the mail box, post ect.... is a no no. Each flyer in a mailbox is a federal offense. Granted not til you get caught but why take a chance.

Just do door hangers on the front door.

All_Clear

4. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

ALL_Clear is right.

You CAN NOT, by law, place anything IN or ON a mailbox. That includes wedging flyers behind the flags, or hanging them off the handles.

Some posts, however, provide a newspaper box, which you can use.

It is a federal offense to use the mail box itself in any way. And YES someone will complain.

5. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Federal Offense....postal workers will report you:blush:

6. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

You can not place advertisments in or even on the mailbox.

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

then if you cant find the answer post the question.... this subject had been discussed almost daily for the better part of the week...:)

8. steviepowers

steviepowers LawnSite Member

Thanks to everyone for the answers. Sorry about wasting your cyber-space, Dave. I know we should conserve, but sometimes search engines just don't give you exactly what you're looking for. I guess I'm just lazy... If I want to know, I just ask. God, help me.

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

hi...:)

i treally does com up once a day thats all

here you go. :)

* Advertising on a mailbox or the supporting post of the mailbox is prohibited.
    * Only the United States Postal Service may use mailboxes for delivery without paying postage (Flyers, magazines, notes, letters, etc. found in or on mailboxes may be charged postage due) .
    o If you have received flyers on or in your mailbox, please contact your local Post Office facility.
    o Non-postal information, advertising, and any other matter not bearing postage may be placed in door slots (These are not considered mail boxes).

Note: A receptacle for newspaper delivery by private companies may be attached to the post of a curbside mailbox used by the U.S. Postal ServiceĀ® if the receptacle:

Does not touch the mailbox or use any part of the mailbox for support.
    Does not interfere with the delivery of mail, obstruct the view of the mailbox flag, or present a hazard to mailperson or vehicle.
    Does not extend beyond the front of the mailbox when the box door is closed.
    Does not display advertising, except the publication title.

10. jims5964

jims5964 LawnSite Member

Has anybody on this site ever actually got fined or arrested for this federal offence?:nono: :nono: