Flyers in the mail boxes

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by C & T, Mar 10, 2004.

1. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

Just a reminder to those that are new to the business - It is against the law to put your flyers in the mail boxes. My wife called me today from her work and a local LCO put his flyer in her work's mailbox along with the surronding ones. The post office usually will give 1 warning to those that do this, second time - they will take action. Get door hangers, knock on the door, get mail bags, etc...it's not worth getting a hefty fine by putting your advertisements in the mail boxes.

2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup I see this all the time. Makes me mad that i pay for postage and others don't. Sometimes I want to call the post office but I just let it go.

3. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

Paper boxes are the next best thing. Best way to balance speed and efficency. I put out 500 in 2 hours and love it.

4. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

Good reminder C & T, also you cannot put your flyer attached to the mailbox, specifaclly wedged between the flag and and mailbox. Hope this helps some of yall.

5. Landmark

Landmark LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Paper boxes also are off limits, they will call you and tell you to stop.

6. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

Flyers in between the flag and the mailbox get pulled from the mail carriers. Well, that's what ours does. I spoke to her about it and she said completely illegal. She showed me her pile she called her "investigation pile". Since I have 2 companies doing it around me, I makes me feel pretty good knowing as they put them out, she's picking them right back up. Less competition that way. I like!

7. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

I spoke to the local post master. She told me that any flyer attached, hung on, or place into a mail box was illegal. She did say that I could attach the flyer to the post. Also, she said that the paper box was open gain.

8. Landmark

Landmark LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Of course she said the paper box was open gain, it's not her responsibility. The paper box is the property of the newpaper company if it's one of theirs. They don't approve of people using their property for free advertising.

9. jseamster

jseamster LawnSite Member

Good advice here. It's really no trouble to just mail it the appropriate way. It will come across more professional to the prospective client. 100 stamps is still less then 40 bucks.

Write down the addresses, keep them on your computer by area/neighborhood. You may want to try the area again next year.

Address the flyer to "Our neighbors at:" or something like that.

10. J.Henderson

J.Henderson LawnSite Member

The paperbox is not owned by the newspaper in my area. The customer has to purchase it and a post to put it on.