1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Flyers inserted in the local paper...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mcoates, Feb 3, 2010.

1. mcoates

mcoates LawnSite Member

Has anyone had any success with inserting flyers in the local paper?
  2. ProcsLC

ProcsLC LawnSite Member

It's more expensive then going door to door and handing them out obviously... But we received about the same rate of return and didn't need to walk 450 miles.

So I say, if your budget can afford it, then let them pass the flyer out... Only down side is every now and then you might want to "skip a lawn" and obviously you can't do this with paper inserts...

Here's a thought, do both this season and keep track, 90% of the time the customer has one of my flyers in their hand when i show up and since I run different flyers, it's pretty easy to figure out what's working and where they got it from.

Good luck this season!
  3. mcoates

mcoates LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice! And I found it to be pretty cheap at around $45 dollars per thousand... I plan on doing 7500..so I guess thats better then walking and I can get them out in one day..plus you can trust these people.

My only problem now would be that my minimum size for a flyer has to be 5X7 or larger. Its just hard to find those at a good price. Any suggestion? It seems like 4x6 is the cut off for good pricing...
  4. ProcsLC

ProcsLC LawnSite Member

Ya make your own flyers at home and then print off one and take it to a copy shop like Kinko's or whatever is in your area... You can very easily design a 5x7 at home... We wnt with a full page insert in our paper because it was the same price as the half sheets... So ask them and see if there's a price difference first...
  5. Grass Shark

Grass Shark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7

I use staples by me i do half sheet flyers they charge .10 cents a copy so you get your for .05 cents each if you do two to a page. That works pretty well. or you could get one of these door hanger specials. At a place like 3000doorhangers.com they are like $175, and you can hang them it looks better
  6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried it two years ago and did not receive a single call. I put out 2500 flyers two weeks in a row in the Sunday paper and the return was zero. Needless to say I won't be doing that again.
  7. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

What about an add in the service section. It will cost me $30/week and reach 12,000 homes. Minimum of 13 weeks. I think I will do it March-May.
  8. mcoates

mcoates LawnSite Member

What time of the year did you put them out?
  9. mcoates

mcoates LawnSite Member

What time of the year did you put them out?