Flyers on mailboxes

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Big C, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I need some clarification.....I know it is illegal to place flyers inside mail boxes but is it illegal to attach them to the outside????......

2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Yes, in every town in every state on every single mailbox.

Is that going to stop people, definitely not. Some places are much more strict than others.

3. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it is illegal to touch a mailbox that doesn't belong to you.

4. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

What about the newspaper box under the mailbox ( on some)

5. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

The paper slot portion of those plastic boxes can be used for flyers.

A regular mailbox with no newspaper slot may not have anything attached or put inside them.

6. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I am pretty sure it is even illegal to look at the mail box when passing it in most states now.......:hammerhead:

Actually the truth has already been spoken, you cannot touch the boxes at all. None inside or out.

As far as I can tell, door hangers are about the best way to get your materials into peoples hands next to mass mailings.

Good Luck

7. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

Tape it to the post!

8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

That should work

Some people put a small ad is a ziplock bag and a rock and throw it in your driveway.

I've never put out flyers or door hangers, but I feel like i'm picking up litter, and really don't like the practice. I HATE signs on phone poles ( which are also illegal around here)

9. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, tough mailbox laws in the states. Glad it's not like that here in the North.

10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Too much of a hassle carrying tape with you and then taping it to the mailbox. If its windy it might get shredded. Speaking from experience, the fastest and easiest and the most professional looking method are the door hangers. You can carry several hundred and not wrinkle or tear them and there is always a good place to put them, on the handle or knob. Much better than flyers.