flyers on rural roads

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2BladeRunners, May 31, 2004.

1. 2BladeRunners

2BladeRunners LawnSite Member

Guess I need to do some research regarding postal laws regarding mail boxes. We have door hanger bags we use for service advice, flyers etc. We distributed a Memorial Day special flyer along a rural road. We are vary careful not to ever put anything in the mail box. Usually we hang them from the flag or a hook on the mail box post. Some people put hooks special for the rural paper which comes in a bag much like ours. When I got home I had 4 messages. 3 new annual contracts, 1 yard install, and a complaint. The gentleman who didn't leave hsi name, number or address advises it is illegal to hang a flyer from any part of the mail box or post. He promised to call the post office in the morning so tehy can deal with me. The only way he will not report me to the post offoce is if I come back and remove the flyers. I looked on my caller ID and compared the date and time stamp from my answering machine and sure enough I received a cellular call at the same time. I called the cell phone cause I want to try and smooth things out...reputation is important when you work in small towns. The greating on his voice mail anounces him name and his LCO! So does anyone know if hanging items from the mail box - not in the mail box - is illegal as he suggests or possibly it's just sower grapes from me cutting into his turf?

2. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Man screw him seriously man DO NOT go and remove it just tell the post office say I apologize I had no idea that it was not appropriate, and thats if they even call you, but take my word they will not fine you on a first offense. What a jerk he is

3. 2BladeRunners

There's no way I'm taking them down...just need to treat him with respect and move on. Still, my teenagers are more mature!

4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i cant belive that bs. there is no way its illegal to put flyers on a hook, just illegal to put it IN a mailbox.

but wtg on the calls, that pretty damn good, depending on how many you put out.

im pretty pist, i had 15,000 flyers go out in saint claire shores, and i only got 2 calls, and 1 call was just some old lady wishing me luck (lol) and the other call was someone wanting rocks put in, and i cant get ahold of her. and on my flyer i had a free cut on the 3rd week. so ya, thats sweet you got some replys.

5. 2BladeRunners

flyers never work well for me either...I've mailed and hung door to door 500 this year (prior to this weekend) and only received 1 job from them. We put a little teaser in this add, $15 for any mow ( to cover the cost of gas...used to do the 1st one free but can't do it anymore) then we measure or just see how long it acutally takes and give them the program quote. We hung about 1000 over the weekend so I'm real pleased with the 4 positive responses.

6. chris28

chris28 LawnSite Member

2bladerunners,

Dont take them down. If it is your first offense, all the postmaster will do is advise you it is illegal to put anything in the mailbox, on the mailbox or on the post and the possible fines. Postmaster called me one day and spanked me over the phone. I apoligized and said it wouldnt happen again. But I got 5 jobs out of it.

I have noticed other LCO's periodically tearing down other LCO's advertisements at stores and restaurants....pretty silly...there is plenty out there for all of us.
    Good luck with your business.

7. 2BladeRunners

Section 1725 of Title 18 of the United States Code states that Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits any mailable matter such as statements of accounts, circulars, sale bills, or other like matter, on which no postage has been paid, in any letter box established, approved, or accepted by the Postal Service for the receipt or delivery of mail matter on any mail route with intent to avoid payment of lawful postage thereon, shall for each such offense be fined under this title.

The Domestic Mail Manual (which you can find on the Internet at www.usps.com) goes into more specifics. It states that no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle.

Section D041 of The Domestic Mail Manual also states the penalty for violating this section is that you pay the postage that you would have paid had you actually mailed your flyer. If you use the average of a 2.5 person household, you would have about 3600 mailboxes in a town of 9000. The fine, therefore, for stuffing all of the mailboxes in your town could run into the hundreds, if not thousands of dollars

guess I'll not use the flag or hook again!

8. 2BladeRunners

the more I think about this the more confused I am...Step2 makes a mailbox with the news paper slot under the mail box - but attached to the post...by the USPS definition it's illegal to put the newspaper in this slot.

9. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

i think if it aint got a stamp, it aint legal...

10. 2manymowers

2manymowers LawnSite Member

The paper tube under the "letter box" is not considered part of the mailbox, even though it's all one molded piece of plastic. BTW, I am a full time rural mail carrier, and what you are talking about is "unauthorized mail" (flyers, newspapers, etc. that are left in the mailbox without postage). I have picked up many pieces of unauthorized mail out of mailboxes, but I would never take one off the flag or outside of the box unless it somehow interfered with my job of servicing that box. I just plain don't give a crap. :) You can put as many as you want on the outside of the box, I don't care. But, if a mail customer complains about it, well there is nothing I can do about that. Best of luck to you.