Flyers-one man style?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LandscapeMasterpieceGA, Apr 1, 2006.

1. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

I have been hitting mailboxes with flyers with my self driving and a friend out the passenger window of a Buick Rendesvouz. We get about 100 done per hour with the 2 of us doing it. My helper is going out of town for a couple of weeks, and I am planning on doing some on my own, but am not looking forward to driving on the wrong side of the road. Any suggestions? (I live in north Atlanta and only target subdivisions.)
    TIA

Jeremy

2. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

I do about 500 in 2 hours in most paperbox set ups. Neighborhoods are different. An area with a paperbox per house I do 500 in an hour when it is a stop per house it is about 2- 2.5 hours. 100 per hour sounds more like door hangars. Are your houses far apart?:confused:

3. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

From experience from last year flyering, it is so much easier to have one driver stop at one end of the street and drive down to the other end and wait (yeah it's boring for that person but hey, ya gotta do what works) and have 2 people flyering, one on either side of the street. That is what we did this year and in a little under 3 hours we got out about 700 flyers. Good luck! :)

4. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

If the flyers are folded two people should be able to put out 500 per hour

5. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

There are no paperboxes here, and lots of brick and iron mailboxes that can really be a pain to find a good spot to stick or tape a flyer. I guess we actually got 150+ done per hour, fuzzy math. Anyone have advice on SOLO flyering in large hilly subdivisions?

6. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I ran into the same problem....driving down the wrong side of the road... so I decided to get out extra early.... 6:30-9am before the traffic starts in the communities. Sunday mornings are good too.... most people are sleeping late... again, less traffic.

7. Firefighter1428

Firefighter1428 LawnSite Member

I ve done both ways of putting out flyers, Its a real pain in the ass by yourself, I recommend a 2 person job but 1 person can do it As for the right time to put out flyersd, I mostly go out late saturday night or early sunday morning. Scope out the areas your going to hit up, see when the newspapers get dropped off, See how many news papers are in the main box or sitting in the yard mid day saturday or sunday, that way you can adjust your time to drop off.. I try to get my flyers in the paper boxes just after the paper "Person" makes their delivery that way my flyers on top and it goes in the house with the sunday paper. Sundays most people sleep in late, relax and read the paper and I have fun this is the perfect time for them to see an ad for lawn work.

I do have one question for those out there that put out flyers in mailboxes. Do you lay them flat in the box, fold them over, or fold and staple them closed? What seems to work for you?

Good luck this year to all..

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

please do a search, it is a federal offence to put your flyers in the mailbox..... many people here have had big trouble from it.....

not in, on, or affixed to the mailbox...

9. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

I put out another 600 yesterday. I am putting them on the mailpost or behind the flag. I get flyers like that all the time, no problems w/USPS. I thought that it was an offense inside the mailbox, not outside, anyone have a link to the law?

10. tlwmsu

tlwmsu LawnSite Member

http://www.gao.gov/archive/1997/gg97085.pdf

Look at the 2nd to last paragraph on page 6...
    Postal Service regulations are broader than the mailbox restriction law.
    The regulations restrict items placed upon, supported by, attached to,
    hung from, or inserted into a mailbox.

The post might be ok...other than that, they could get testy about it. :nono: