1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Flyers vs. Door knocking....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Jan 12, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Which do you guys think is better? Flyers or going throughout a neighborhood and knocking on their doors and asking them in person? If so could someone please give a good example of what a good speech would be. I have a few of my own, but wanna see what everyone else says as well.Thanx z lot!!!
  2. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

Of the two choices, I go with fliers. You can cover more places in less time, and if they want your services, they will call. I don't like people knocking on my door to sell me something, I'd respect others for the same.

My .02

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Well knocking on doors takes a LOT more time, and then if they aren't home, then what? Will you then leave them a flier, or will you make an additional stop back?

This year we are going to try the door hangers. Brian from lawnsite sent a sample copy of a door hanger, and we think they will work well for us also.

I just think a majority of the people will not be home when you would be knocking on doors, and I think that it would be a waste of your time. Try door hangers, because with fliers it is sometimes hard to find a place to leave them.
    (Not in the mailbox!!)

4. Old Guy

Old Guy LawnSite Member

We checked with the local newspaper about inserting flyers on certain routes. They will stuff flyers at $28.77 per 1,000 with a minimum of 5,000. That's $143.85 for 5K. They send you a map and you tell them which region(s) you want them inserted into. Anyone try this before? Does $144 sound reasonable? Of course, you have to supply the flyers. And they recommended we stay away from weekends. Too many other advertisement inserts.
  5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I do not like people knocking on my door therefore I would not take that route. I really don't mind flyers at my door, and I feel better about that route for my business.
  6. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I have a rule: if someone calls or knocks I won't buy no matter what the product or price of the product. Hope nobody offers anything good because my rule rules.
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I don't even answer the door anymore when someone stops buy unannounced. Its usually some girl with big knockers and i end up buying 20$ worth of coupons to eat at some nasty restuarant. Flyers would there for be the way to go
  8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I got some qoutes from the local papers, the smaller 50 cent papers, and the price was 3 cents per flier for black & white and 6 cents per flier for color. They have a circulation of roughly 30,000.That seems close to what Richard got qoutes for except I don't have to supply the fliers, that's where a cost difference will come into play.
  9. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Charles i don't like the knocking on doors thing, but filers would be aok. My best advertisement is my work,and my clients, Infact most all my jobs have come by word of mouth. Im solo and turn down work every-year. Do the best job that you can, and your work will come back ten-fold.
  10. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Alright guys, I'm convinced! Where exactly do you put the flyers? Front porch somewhere? Or stick it in between the red flag and the mailbox, is this legal if it is legal? Is it legal?
    What flyer companies are not too expensive and make great flyers? Also when do you reccomend I start sending out flyers?