Flyers vs. mailed flyers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Feb 11, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

What are the pros and cons of flyers and mailed flyers and which is more effective? What are your thoughts???

2. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

I guess it depends on the size of your business. If you have several crews I suppose the mailers would be a good deal, provided they are targeted (ie., single family homes, upper income, etc.) Otherwise, hand delivered fliers are very effective and get you business in areas you know you want to work in. A recent past thread had a guy who was sending out 80,000 mailers. WOW! You can search for it. There was a good discussion.

3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Never saw that post.... 80,000 mailers wow that must cost a pretty penny..wish I could find that thread..

4. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I will be mailing out about 10,000 postcards in about a week. Personally, I think both ways are effective at getting your message out. I have heard that mailings are more effective, but that depends on many factors. My advice is try both and see what kind of response you get. Good Luck!!

Scott

5. plow kid

plow kid Banned

I have about 5000 door hangers to place on doors and 500 postcards to go out next week

6. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

I just finished mailing out 400 postcards and hand delivering another 500. Both methods are good in my opinion. I mail to areas that are difficult or impossible to hand deliver and go out pre-dawn on Sundays to hand deliver where possible. Either way I target only areas/homes I'm interested in. For mailing I use PowerFinder from InfoUSA ( 1-800-284-8353 ). I found this most economical for repeated mailings versus using a local mail service. But, it's worth looking into both. Obviously doing it yourself takes time, which is not a problem for me in the winter. BTW, mailed flyers can generate response from comm. accouts too.

7. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

I know we got a pretty good response from hand delivered flyers last year. I would that think that mailing them would be more effective though and also a little safer (opposed to sticking them in or on mail boxes).

Chris
    Precision Landscaping.

8. Scape Sculptor

Scape Sculptor LawnSite Member

I am doing both, mailers and hand deliver this year. I have started the mailers and am already getting responce. I also am networking with a private lawn care company from Cleveland that is expanding into the Akron market.They don't do mowing and landscape work, just lawn fert and Tree & Shrub. Just got a referral for a big commercial account from them today.(mowing,pruning, and s&f clean up...60,000 sq ft lawn area} I hope spring comes early.