Flyers: What's cheaper

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MrFangs, Aug 13, 2005.

1. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

I am printing up black and white flyers on cardstock. I own a printer.

The question is, is it cheaper to do them myself or have someone do it?

Card stock = 150 pages for $4.99
    Ink = About $20.00

I don't know how much printing is, since this is my first year. (The upcoming year)

What do ya'll think?

2. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

In My Experience B&w Sucks ,,,,,,,,,nobody Calls ! Get A Nice 3 Or 4 Color Doorhanger Done....in My Case It Usually Gets About 5 Times The Response. Printing Yourself Is A Time Waster ..............call The Loval Printers And Get Them Done Right. It Will Be Worth It.

3. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

That's all I got. Door-hangers are expensive as whoa, though.

4. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

WHAT IS MORE EXPENSIVE ?....... PRINTING AND PUTTING OUT A CHEAP FLYER THAT DONT WORK ..............OR ONE THAT COSTS MORE BUT MAKES THE PHONE RING WITH GOOD PAYING CUSTOMERS ? ITS ALL ABOUT BANG FOR THE BUCK. IT WHAT I TELL MY CUSTOMERS..........YOU WANT IT CHEAP HUH ?..........WELL I NOTICE THAT NICE CADDY OR BENZ THERE....HMMMM WHY DIDNT YOU BUY THE USED YUGO ? 2 MINUTES LATER THE CONTRACT IS SIGNED AND I HAVE A DEPOSIT CHECK payup payup payup

5. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

I Get My Doorhangers 2000 For 120 Bucks!!! I Designed Them Myself Though

6. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

What are the numbers? How many responces MORE do you get from color?

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

It's absolutely cheaper to have someone else print them in any larger numbers.

Usually cheapest to find someone online rather then local. My local places are twice as much (or more) then online printers.

So a search for online printers. Several good ones have been discussed here many times before.

8. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I use yellow half sheet post cards with black print , 30,000 for $750.00 .
    They stand out .
    The pretty ones are usually messy with all kinds of color and print .
    Mine are simple and easy to read .
    I send 'em to the same homes up to 5 times .
    It's like seeing the same commmercial over and over , it sticks in your mind .
    The fancy 4 color little ones are a joke to me.
    But , I gotta tell ya , I've never tried 'em .
    But I have gotta 'em in the mail and they don't compare the my half sheet yellow with black ink .
    Mine are very cheap and big.
    take a sheet of paper and fold it longs ways and that's the size they are

9. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

If anyone here has read my prior posts.. you'd think I am the FLYERMASTER3000 :blob3:
    I single-handedly passed out thousands of flyers over a 2 month period and wound-up with 60 mowing clients and 30 small jobs (hauling, mulching, dethatching, fertilizer, etc)

My flyers were double-sided black and white with a tri fold (office max does all this for about $.09 a flyer) At first I would fold them myself but it takes hours to tri-fold thousands of flyers! And O.M. only charges $.02 for the fold.
    Some smaller ma-and-pa businesses charge a lot for this, but if you bring them Office Max's price they'll drop hundreds and beat Office Max's (they need the business!)

Anyway, my flyers did wonders. They included all of the services I offer, explanations of the services, their benefit from receiving the services, phone number, email, etc. AND YOU NEED PLENTY OF CATCHY LINES... MANY PEOPLE CALLED ME AND COMMENTED THAT THEY CALLED BECAUSE OF THE HUMOR IN MY FLYER... some healthy humor will get you somewhere!

10. Andersonlawnscape

Andersonlawnscape LawnSite Member

Do you think you could post a sample of your flyer for all of us to see.