Flyers???????

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JayD, Dec 1, 2007.

1. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

I was thinking of trying out flyer's next year, would any of you have any to show so I can get some ideas from. Also if you have any info on how to's, how much, who to use etc.....
    Thanks, Jay*trucewhiteflag*

2. TurfCo  LLC

TurfCo LLC LawnSite Member

This isn't what you're looking for, but I've had much much better luck using yard signs. It costs a little more up front, but you can reuse them over and over, no passing them out, no competitors pulling them out of paper boxes, and everyone sees the fine work you do when they drive by a freshly maintainanced lawn you've stuck a sign in. I passed out flyers for years, but when I invested in a dozen signs, the return on my investment was much better than anything I'd ever done, including phone book ads.

3. JayD

Really.....I never thought of doing that. How does your customers feel about you putting them up in their yards? How long do you leave them there and do you offer something to the ones who let you put them up?
    Thanks Turf,

4. TurfCo  LLC

TurfCo LLC LawnSite Member

I ask them if I can put it there first, if they are handy. If they aren't, I usually just stick one out there. I leave if for 2-3 days and then pick it up. Or you can pick it up the next time you're there to service the property. If you put one in a lawn, be sure it is a lawn that gets good traffic driving by instead of a dead end street or something like that. I offer no discount or special treatment, and people are always happy to display it for a bit. Just don't abuse their generosity. If they don't like it, they'll call you about it and ask that you take it, or next time you're there it'll be leaning on the side of their house or something so that you can pick it up. I have only had 1 person ever to pull up my sign because they didn't want it in their lawn, and it wasn't a big deal.

I will try to post a picture of my signs to give you a couple of ideas. I've never posted anything before, nor do I have a sign or camera handy, so it might take a day or two.

5. JayD

OK, thanks Turf. That would be nice.

6. JayD

Why does my post say moved and why does it hide the response and views?

7. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

during my real estate days I used to put for sale signs in yards of vacant houses. I'd get tons of calls and eventually the owner would call or I'd track him down and buy it, fix it up and resell it to the list of buyers who called... those were the days.

8. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

flyers work well for me.. paid $380 for 10,000

expect 2-5% to generate calls and 1% retained customers.

last spring i passed out 2500 .. got 35 accounts, going into next year i'll have 25 of those after weeding out the cheapskates and people who moved (is everyone moving or what!)

took 2 employees 1.5 days to pass out. put em in doorknob bags on doorknobs, under doormats a tad, or wedged in door.
    $300 labor and $85 worth of fliers= $385 for 25 customers...

and i still have 7500 left.
    designed the fliers myself... used microsoft word; stuck on my logo, etc.
    had em printed 2 per sheet at gotprint.com and then had the 5000 sheets cut by a local print shop for $15

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

WOW I thought that was a rent-a-car company :confused::confused::confused:

10. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

JayD...

Go to my site, click Testimonials / Background in the menu, and there is a download link there to my color flyer.

Now.. I have a simple black and white one too, that I really like alot. Have to buzz out to work in like 5 minutes, so I'll dig up that file later if I remember.

The color goes to what I believe are internet-rich neighborhoods, and the B&W goes to the rest. As the former has just www contact, and the B&W has phone and www.