Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by moonscapes, Feb 23, 2008.

1. moonscapes

moonscapes LawnSite Member

Few questions about flyers:
    1. Where do you put them (mailbox, etc) or do you send them bulk mail?
    2. What type of return do you get from them?
    3. If in GA, when do you usually send them out?

thanks! Kevin
  2. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Start now........I picked up 60 new accounts last week with flyers. Post them bad boys on the mailbox, just don't put them on the door or the flag. Keep them away from the mailman and u'll be ok. Get it going now.................
  3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

60 accounts in one week, what are you offering a free month mowing up front? Good to see you got that many accounts.
  4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

60 new accounts in ONE week? Just how many did you put out? Generally, one can figure on a 1% return. Of those, how many do you close on? Even under the best circumstances, that's 6000 flyers with a 100% close rate. My area has houses rather close together... and I can do about 60 an hour. 3 hours, and I've walked 9 to 10 miles.

Are you mailing these? Because otherwise, the numbers don't make much sense. One person working 8 hours, walking about 32 miles, would get about 480 flyers out. At that rate, each one would get 2,400 out in a week, walking 160 miles. Call me skeptical.
  5. mow2nd

I pass out 1,000 flyers everyday. I start around 8 and I'm done by noon. I don't walk. Depending on how close the homes are, I usually avg, 200-300 an hour. The accounts are picked up each day, and my crew completes the orders. My return is around 1%-2%, which equals 10-20 new accounts each day. The wording on the flyer also allows me to work on their lawn and get paid everyday. It's easy to be skeptical because when I started doing it this way I was unsure of the response. If you guys can think outside the box, and stop doing what everybody else is doing, then you can do the same thing. Why pass out flyers that say, He this is Joe Blow Lawn Care and here is what I do.......etc etc etc................................ How about saying, This is Joe Blow Lawn Care and we are going to be in your neighborhood Tomorrow mowing lawns for $XX and if you would like your lawn mowed, follow the directions.................Think about it fellas.
  6. des1477

des1477 LawnSite Member

Is it best to advertise in the local newspaper, or hanging flyers.
  7. mow2nd

Flyers are the way to go because you can pin point where you want your business, as well as the prices you want for each neighborhood you do. Depending on the newspaper you can be all over the place. Gas prices are way too high to be all over the city when you can be in one neighborhood doing 10-20 yards. You can hire people to do flyers if you don't like doing them. I have been thru a ton of flyer people and it's a joke. I do flyers now, and hire labor to do the work. One crew is responsible for our regular accounts and I have another crew who attends to the new accounts collected each day.
  8. des1477

des1477 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info.
  9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't doubt the effectivenss of flyers at all. I think my door hanger is very well written, actually. Thing is, I'm a small operation... and I have to walk it. No budget for laborers to do it for me. How can you distribute without getting out of your vehicle?
  10. Precedence

Precedence LawnSite Member