Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jeff L., Feb 7, 2003.

1. Jeff L.

Jeff L. LawnSite Member

This is going to be my first year doing this full-time, I'm a little nervous though because I really want to grow it as fast as I can! I have good eq. but I need to build up my customers FAST. I live in the midwest so I have another 6-8 weeks before I can get out there and work, my sister is now working on a logo for me and it will be done in a couple weeks I'm then going to get flyers made, can anyone tell me a good basic way to put the flyer together. What is the best way to try to get new people? I wanted to maybe walk in to places and offer my services and leave them a flyer, restaurants, small businesses etc. How do you guys approach people?
  2. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Forget the flyers and go with the door hangers. Go to the elements of business forum here and look up the door hanger thread. The hangers are much better than flyers. We have great success with door hangers and they are much easier to pass out.

good luck
  3. lawnjockey

lawnjockey LawnSite Member

Hey guy, flyer's are ok and sometimes work better than door-knob hangers. Both are good ways to get bus. I use the flyer's myself, easier to make and I can use the exercise by walking the subdivisions and placing them in the newspaper boxes. Notice I said newspaper boxes not mail boxes. Make sure your logo or lettering is catchy so the homeowner will not just wad it up with the many others. Usually about 1 out of 100 will call you, so make a lot. Good Luck!!:cool:
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

lawnjockey, I know it's illegal to put things in the mailbox, but is it legal in the paper box? That would sure save alot of time and effort. Could use my bike instead of walking (cut more time) too. I wouldn't like it if I was the paper company but the carriers couldn't care less. They wouldn't report you or yank your ads out. But would the customer care? And is it legal?
  5. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

We don't have newspaper boxes around here. I guess if every house has one a flyer would be great. Otherwise there is not a good place to put the flyer. The hangers are easy to carry, you can carry a couple hundred in one hand. You always have a place to put them and they won't blow away....
  6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

here's myne:

Attached Files:

7. challenger55

challenger55 LawnSite Member

what you need to do is nock on there door and give them your flyer the people will be very impressed if there not home put a flyer in there mail box
  8. lawncare3

That's exactly what I do.
  9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I would never open someone's mailbox to put anything in it. I'm sure you don't know it, but that is illegal.
  10. lawncare3

NEVER do that. You will get fined.