1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by andersonmowing23, Aug 22, 2004.

1. andersonmowing23

andersonmowing23 LawnSite Member

I was reading some other posts just looking over everything, since I am new to this site. I noticed that some of you passed out flyers by mail. I was wondering how you get the addresses for this mass mailing, how you do it, what all it takes, and if it is just as simple as putting a stamp on a flyer and mailing. Thanks for any help!!
  2. contourbs

contourbs LawnSite Member

i have a question, with fliers how and where do u put them
  3. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't you put fliers in mail boxes? Maybe they just drive from yard to yard and put them in the mail box. That's what I would do.
  4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

don't but them in the mailbox...postal service seems not to like that!...cause it's illegal!
  5. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

i og tin trouble years back for putting flyers INSIDE the box..... the F'in mail man took all my flyers out and brought them back to me and told me it was illegal... man what a wasted day passin all them things out..... but after talking to him about it he said that u can put them beween the tweo metal clasps at the top of the door and box ( the little things that keep the door shut tight) or you could put them between the flag and the box... ive done this and seems to work just as good... it gets people's attention seeing stuff on every mailbox as they drive home...

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I was told by the Post Office that is illegal to put flyers anywhere on a mailbox (and definitely not inside them). Now, most mailman I've encountered don't get bent out of shape if you tuck them on the flag. If you jam them in the latch, they are a major PITA for the mailman.

A good strategy is to FOLLOW the mailman. That way he's done his business and your flyer won't be bothering him.

If there's a separate mailbox for newspapers I'll usually put it in there.

To answer the original post, check for companies under "direct mailing" in the yellow pages. Also a lot of local newspapers will insert your flyers, not sure how expensive that is (hopefully cheaper than an ad)
  7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi andersonmowing23,

Here is a great quote from this post here.

"I agree, you need to get out there and make time if you are serious about your company growth.
    This gives you the opportunity to talk to the customers directly if you run into any while passing them out, and you can answer a lot of questions they may have right there. It also gives you a chance to meet them, and get your foot in the door. I also work full time, but there's plenty of time in my eyes to do this, if you are serious about the success of your company. Weekends are great, because people are home usually.
    I pass out all of my door hangers myself, to target specific areas I want to get more work in. I also am sending out 5,000 coupons along with a local pizza place in town, and are using 2 local high school guys who are reliable for a great price. We've checked up on them before, and they had the flyers up on every house they said they did. (have to watch and make sure they don't just dump a pile somewhere and tell you they are out)."