Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DaveRave07, Mar 8, 2005.

1. DaveRave07

DaveRave07 LawnSite Member
    from NY

I had heard that it is illegal to put flyers in a mailbox, is this true? I have heard that some sort of postage is necessary. If it is true then how are people passing out some 500 flyers? Going door to door? Damn.
  2. The Turf Pro

The Turf Pro LawnSite Member

:dizzy: You can stick them on the side of a mail box or even on there front door
    but don't put them in the box that's not legal.
  3. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

tampering with mail is a huge fine. But I know lots of guys that do it and have never heard of one person getting nailed. If you ever did most likely you would just get a warning.
  4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

If you want to be legal you go door to door or have them all mailed out.
  5. DaveRave07

DaveRave07 LawnSite Member
    from NY

How about the paper box? How does that work legally? Whoever reveived it would probably just think it was an insert in the newspaper.
  6. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been doing the 'paper box' thing... been gettin' lucky too, cause every development I go into has a mailbox with paperbox directly below it. Came across a couple paper boxes with numerous in them. Etc... powerwashing, Papa' Johns... Dominos...and now ME! So I'm assuming it's ok. So far I've hit 800-900 homes conveniently by lettin' my father hang out the passenger window slipping flyers in the paperbox's. :p It get's him out of the house.
  7. brbsta

brbsta LawnSite Member

As we talked about it yesterday, even puting flyers on a mailbox is illegal. Everyone does it and never see them get in trouble or anything. So you probley can get a away with it but you dont want to get caught.
  8. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Placing flyes ON a mailbox is illegal, as in sliding them under the flag? I just found out one of my guys distributed about 800 like this, instead of placing them on the doors. I wanted them on the doors in the first place, knowing that mailboxes may be a legal issue. A lady has already called me, claiming its a federal offense, and shes got the license plate number, and she's reporting me, and blah blah blah. Somebody please clear this up ASAP, because if I have to go back and remove these suckers its gonna be a long day.
  9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i am paying to have mine inserted into the local newspaper, its legal and very easy for me.......
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest