Flying and Mowing can it be done?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by krapflier, Jan 25, 2008.

1. krapflier

krapflier LawnSite Member
    from AR

Looking to start a very small solo lawn care op this spring, 10 lawns tops. Got me a nice Quick 36 (LOVE IT), trimmer, edger, blower, and a used truck to do some residential lawn work. Problem is i'm a pilot and flying on a 7 and 7 schedule, and work from Wednesday of one week to Tuesday of the following week. I away flying for 7 days then I'm home for 7 days.

Can it be done and run a lawn biz? Spring going to be a bear but I figured on the weeks I'm home I can mow all my lawns on Wednesday the day I return from flying then mow them all again the day before I leave to go flying. This would insure that all the lawns are mowed at least once a week. Good thing about the set up is I really love to fly and I really enjoy lawn work. I just don't know if I have the time needed to do them both and do them both well.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see how this could be done....As soon as you get a rain day, you are looking at ATLEAST 2 weeks.

3. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

you can have my customers that want there lawn cut every other week

4. lawnmagicinc

lawnmagicinc LawnSite Member
    from jax fl

it can work yall you got to do is set your custimers up on contracts you will be there 2 times a month to do there lawn .there are home owners that will go for that

5. lawnmagicinc

lawnmagicinc LawnSite Member
    from jax fl

then once you do that then you can go from there

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

What is your long term goal for your mowing business?

7. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Your best bet is stick to what you know better. Do you fly a commercial air line?:drinkup:

8. shopmanual

shopmanual LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

It all depends on the people you mow for. If it's friends or people who you know well and they can wait every other week or understand if you get a rain day, then you should have no problem. However, many people are impatient so you may run into trouble. With your flight experience maybe you could be the first TruGreen guy who uses a crop duster!

9. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

This can be done.
    Just be straight forward with your customers and explain them the situation before hand.
    You may have to keep in touch with a subcontractor for bad timing with the rain.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I was thinking about the times I've flown over the handlebars of mine but I don't reckon that qualifies...?

Now I think you'll be fine for the most part, you might have some tall lawns to deal with but start with 5-10 customers and knock all that out in a day or two... The worst part is spring, irrigated treated lawns will need it weekly and every day it waits is another 1/4" of growth it seems like, don't forget rain gets in the way... But I've dealt with it, we all get backed up and anything else that isn't super AAA+ can go 8-10 days between cuts easy, also later in the season it slows down so then it's no problem.

Keep in mind it's not as easy as it looks, unless you have a portable GPS and even then it takes time, for a first year operation 5-6 lawns a day is a LOT of work. You'll start at dawn and get home after dark, wondering how in the world these guys talk about doing 8-10 like so much lalala... But it boils down to practice, I would, however, plan on 5-6 a day for starters.

Honestly speaking I think you could tackle 10-12 probably even 14-15 customers, but once you get up towards 20 or more I think you'll sense the interference, so play it by ear.