1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

flying lawnmower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Precision, May 27, 2004.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

A few months ago, I was working for another LCO. It was our off week from mowing, (winter) so most of the guys were out on trim jobs, but I was the most mechanically gifted and got to stay at the shop changing oil, sharpening blades and the like.

Around 10:00 the boss calls me and asks if I have finished changing the oil on the pick up? Yep.

Then, did you fix the flat on the spare trailer? Yep

Good, I need you to drive up to the Applebees and give my friend (another LCO owner) a hand. Bring the trailer, too.

Just being a pee on I load up and head out.

Well lets just say I learned a heaping helping of what never to do if you want to stay in business.

The short side of a long story.
    Dumbbutt LCO owner was having problems with his trailer coming off the hitch, the day before. One of his employees told him about it and says, we can get by for the rest of the week if we buy and install a 1 7/8 inch ball(moving up from 1 3/4). Genius LCO owner says I am the boss we fix it my way and walks away.

Next day employee comes in and says, boss you need me to install the new hitch ball. Boss says no, grab your dirty old shirt from yesterday and drape it over the ball. that will be fine for today. Employee says, come on boss. Boss, who pays your check.

They do one property and when they get to the second property the hitch pops off as they stop. Employee calls boss. Just double up the shirt, it will be fine.

On the way to the next property, (at 30mph) the trailer comes off the hitch. Of course no safety chains, of course no deadman on the trailer brakes, probably cause it has no trailer brakes.

The trailer pops off and continues thru the intersection for 150' then starts to make a hard right turn directly into the Applebee's parking lot. The right front tire clips the curb and sends the trailer heading towards the opposite curb and parallel to traffic.

The brand new Jaguar that was following the trailer safely dodges into the other lane and misses the trailer.

The trailer pitches up then down and the hitch hits the curb and deflects back into traffic on two wheels. The Great Dane 52" stander goes airborne does a complete flip and lands on its tires directly in front of a Volvo S-40 that is panic braking to avoid the Jaguar. The Volvo kisses the mower and sends it into oncoming traffic, where a pickup's rear bumper clips the mower sending it to its side and back over to the trailer.

While all this is going on 5 stick tools are raining down onto the street. All but one get run over at least once. The one that didn't get run over is sticking out of the Volvo's windshield.

The Jaguar that managed to avoid ramming the trailer catches a baby sledge into the rear window.

I didn't get to see the fireworks, but 20 minutes after the Volvo and Jaguar are still there and the Highway patrol is still writing tickets.

he takes a break and checks out the trailer I have. Gives me a warning for my boss about no brakes, but lets me go.

We load up the slightly lopsided Great Dane and I take the mower and the crew to their shop. The owner stays to keep signing tickets.
  2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

wow what a dumba$$

I saw a lco here have their trailer pop off but it had brakes and stopped, i went over and gave them a hand hooking it up again.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

what a story? Heck I just tighten down my trailer ball the other day because I was worried, but this makes me feel so much better
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I heard this from a guy who worked for Wright. Some guy didn't strap his stander down, when around a corner, lost control, the trailer flipped and the stander did a tumble down the road. The guy just had to replace the center grad bar, but his scag walkbehine was total.

When I read the heading I thought this was going to be about a flymow lawn mower.
  5. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Who does that? You got problems with a trailer fix it. Seriously this is why i like pintle hitches and brake away switches and safety chains and the right size balls :p. You know what that guy got what he deserved and i hope the other drivers sue his ass big time. Tell you the truth the dude driving the truck is just as responsible, he should have stood up to this ass and not driven the truck till everything was fixed.
  6. LuxuryLawns

LuxuryLawns LawnSite Member

I bet that was alot of money for putting the sledge thru the window of the Jag.
    That was real dumb.
  7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, he's lucky he didn't kill anybody. Sucks to know there are idiots like this out there on whom us and our family's lives depend on.
  8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

And make sure it is tied down. Some years back I worked for a small construction company. We wnet to go pick up a Bob-Cat skid-steer loader he just bought. When he put it on the trailer i started to chain it down and he stopped me saying it would be fine and I was wasteing time. On the way back I fall asleep going down the interstate only to be waken up by the loudest noise I thank I have ever heard. I looked in the west coast mirror and seen the $20,000 Bob-Cat flipping end over end at 80 miles and hour. You could not even tell that is was ever a Bob-Cat. Save 5 minutes and lose 20K.