1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Flymo for bunkers...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by woodycrest, Sep 2, 2003.

1. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a post somewhere about using a 'flymow' for edges of bunkers...Do they really work, or are they prone to scalp?
    Would the same technique work around ponds?
    I'm a bit skeptical...

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Edges of ponds would work well,Used one for a steep hill many moons ago.What kind of bunker?
  3. woodycrest

I'm talking about bunkers on golf courses.
  4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't be skeptical at all. Flymowers are excellent machines - particularly the newer ones. They work very well on bunkers, pond edges, steep hills, essentially anywhere a reel mower can't go. The height is adjustable and unless the line is cut too long and protrudes from the deck, I haven't experienced scalping problems.
  5. woodycrest

Do they use line like a trimmer?
    I have never actually seen one,but iassumed they used a blade.

what range of cutting height is there?
  6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, flymowers use line. It is about .105 or larger. Plastic blades are available, and these will scalp - the line doesn't.
    As far as height goes, from about .25" to about 3.5" in height.
    I do know the newer ones (post '98) are bunches better than the older ones.
  7. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I still have one! Its a Toro Flymo 19 (Ya I rebuilt it too) :D Steel NO LIFT blade. yes, steel. I use mine all the time for really steep ditches and other inclines. But they do make the nylon string ones too. I've heard square gator trimmer line works best in them.

Cutting height is pretty much the same at all times, but a lot has to do with how thick the turf is, how high it has grown, etc. I have actually got mine to cut 2 3/4" high.

Heres a pic of mine (Engine needs to be sandblasted and repainted this winter)

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

The Flymo mowers are very much still in use today. Many golf courses in my area use them exclusively for work around bunkers. They have quite fun to use if you ever get the chance to try one.

9. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

we have a Husqvarna hover/fly mower and it serves its purpose well. for steep hillsides, tie a rope onto the handle and just let is slide back and forth or walk back and forth w/ it while lowering the rope.
    i was on the maintenance crew at a local private course for 1 year when i was a teen. we used the hover mowers all the time for steep bunkers that we couldnt get w/ a walkbehind or any other type of mower. rarely do they scalp when everything is set correctly, they are farily dummy proof.
  10. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you transport them from trailer to work site? ??? With engine running with the line running ???