Flywheel key sheared on a kaw fj180v

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Sep 2, 2007.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I was cutting an overgrown lawn with my snapper and hit a scooter handle bar that stopped my mower. I tried to start it back up but to no avail. I figuered it was the flywheel key that was sheared. My dealer is going to fix it on tuesday I believe. My question is if I can fix this on my own or should I let the dealer put the new key on. I have never replaced a flywheel key especially on a kawasaki. What should I do?

2. S man

Bump.......

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hopefully it is just a key... and not a key that is cast into the flywheel itself.

Either is an easy repair on most engines that most can do themselves.
    It just becomes more expensive if you need a whole flywheel.

Stihl started casting their keys into the flywheels.
    I have one old FS85 down for this very reason.
    It was too old I felt to invest the money in an entire new flywheel.

4. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

S man,

Let the dealer take care of it for you. Could you do it?..most likely yes, but you need the right tools, mainly the flywheel puller. Getting the fan shroud off can be a challange at times depending on how the engine is mounted. Other things need to be checked as well, like if the crankshaft get bent?

Best of luck and post back with what ends up being the fix.

Eric D

5. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

the shroud can be a pain in the but to get off around the oil dipstick tube and can crack if you bend it the wrong way.

Getting the flywheel off the crank is a chore as well. There are way to do it without the propper tools, but you can risk damaging the crank and these crank threads mushroom REAL EASY.

The keyway on the FJ180 is not molded to the flywheel.

Also, here's a tip on these engines that is critical. The clearance on the exhaust valve rocker can be no more than .004 or the decompression will not work. This alone can make the rope hard to pull and the engine hard to start. I have seen it cause bad kickbacks that can hurt your hand/arm/ribs and snap a keyway.

Should take about 1/2 to 3/4 an hour to repair front to back.

6. S man

Thanks for the info. I've been Extremely busy with 40 yards and didn't want to fix it myself anyway. The dealer will fix tomorrow I think. If it takes almost an hour I'll be paying 60 for the labor. I guess time is money. Also I bought a resid. snapper with the dov briggs in the meantime. What a great mower. And lots of torque. I like it better than the commercial snapper.

btw, how do honda gxvs hold up when hitting objects like that?
    My briggs side valve on my second snapper hit a drain cap and all kinds of stuff and never had a problem.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You know, I was thinking about it, and I realized I had really forgotten about this type of damage that can happen. It's not been an issue with me, I guess due to BBC equipped Toros. And although I really never have cared for the Toros, I had forgotten about all of this. The BBC is all I like about them, which is a double sided sword too.

You know, I bet this might be what is wrong with the one (cheap) briggs engine I have that is rather hard to pull. I was thinking about pulling a suzuki off a toro and mounting it in place of this engine... which would require me to find a blade adapter. I might just look into this briggs before even thinking further about this.

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The Kawasaki engines the 150's and 180's have weak crankshafts. I've seen so many of those engines come in on snapper or toro proline mowers in aint even funny. Be careful, as there is a chance you might have bent the crankshaft. The 150's seemed to be worse than the 180's but the 180's were still worse then Briggs or Honda engines alike.

9. S man

can a honda gxv key shear easy?
    Also my dealer said it would take a couple hours to change the flywheel key. Hmmn. $68 an hour for labor. I'm not happy.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like your dealer is shafting you on this deal!!