1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Flywheel stuck

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by robro1102, Aug 21, 2011.

1. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The courage engines are a low end engine.....Pretty inexpensive to replace ( compared to the Command Engines $1200-$2000)

Put a pipewrench or breakerbar on the crankshaft, and see if you can get the engine to free up. If it does, put oil in it and see if it runs.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe you should have followed this advice;

And I should have.......[​IMG]......and......[​IMG]
  3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Robro....Sorry about the "Slap".....You didnt deserve it.....:waving:
    Guess Im just like all the other mower techs on Monday mornings in the middle of August.:wall

I realize if you were a mechanic, we probably wouldnt be having this conversation. If you can get the engine freed up, it might go back to work. Unfortunately, it would probably be cheaper to replace than rebuild.

Good Luck,

4. robro1102

robro1102 LawnSite Member

Thanks to all of you for your help and encouragement. I have tough skin, so no problems here. I think it is great that you guys are willing to steer someone in the right direction.

It is now in the hands of someone who works on these types of things and I should get some kind of report later this afternoon, and I want to go on record saying that i think there is still hope. I shut the engine off (it did not die on its own), so even if there was no oil, I just don't think it could have gotten hot enough to totally blow the engine.

I promise to report either way. Thanks again.
  5. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

Id venture to say that a magnet came off the fly-wheel and is lodged between the stator . I had this happen on a pressure washer of mine.
  6. rwaters

rwaters LawnSite Senior Member
    from Online

thats what restro was shooting for, still a shot that that is the problem. I had one come in without oil that the safety system was not allowing the engine to start, poured oil in fixed the safety and the engine is doing just fine 5 years later. He is better about getting it serviced now though:laugh:
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Short blocks works in this situaton if the heads are okay. Might get that down as low as $900 if you do the work. I did mine this winter not real bad. You do have to get that flywheel off.

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Like Topsites said, pull the plugs and try to turn it. If that doesn't work then just start pulling the whole thing apart. At this point what's it going to hurt and it wil give you a better understanding of the internals of an engine.
  9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

You learn hard way I know you will be checking oil everyday from now on
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Here's your problem, now you have to pray because unfortunately when an engine runs low on oil it doesn't seize immediately,
    matter of fact if there was any oil in the engine it can run for some hours, be shut down, have the oil changed....
    Then seize three days later yet run good up to that point.

That's been my experience.
    But it's still worth a shot, because you don't know until all is truly lost.

Generally speaking rebuilds are only worth it for the experienced mechanics who have a lot of time on their hands.
    The short answer is replacing it costs about as much and now you have a brand new engine with a warranty.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011