1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

FM radio hearing protectors.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JJ Lawn, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

They work just fine in the cab of the JD. When I used the JD for aerating, I used to leave the cab on in early March to keep warm and dry and the signal is just as good inside as outside. I let my helper use them in the winter time when we plow. They keep his ears warm and he has tunes too. :)

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Eric, I'm going for them!

3. Guido

Man, I thought I was young! Rush Limbough (spelling??) He's a crusty old talk radio host! ;)

Actually pretty intresting at times.

4. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

He could be if he did not spend so much time patting himself on the back. He spends more time praising himself and I think that the quality of his show has gone downhill. Thats just my opinion, but I never was a real big fan anyway.

My Pelters select FM radio headset should be here next week. Still debating weather I should get an AM set also. Could listen to G Gordon Liddy from 9 - 11, and when Rush come's on I could switch to FM oldies but goodies.

Jim

5. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Just thought of something,

In this day and age of electronicc gadgets, that was a heck of a lot of money to pay for a portable radio. For that kind of money I could have gone to the local stero shop and had a system installed on my Walker. Could have had one of those big base speakers shaking the the ground a I mow. Bet that would loosen up any compaction of the soil, and make a few extra bucks to boot.

Jim

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Yea Jim but you would soon be deaf! I paid good money for my Peltors good tunes and not much talking to myself, spend it now or later for a hearing aid and Prozac.

7. Guido

I had to justify this purchase to the head of the war department (Her Highness) And that was and is my arguement. Even when we're hauling with a dump truck or driving a street sweeper, we have to turn the radio up soo loud just to hear it that not only the noise from the truck, but the radio ends up hurting my ears also.

The best part is I'll be abl to listen to tunes all day at work now. We could never just play a radio at work because 1) We have hearing protection in, and 2) theres always machines or equipment going.

These should put the swing back in my step! ;)

Ray, I got the red ones (digital) that you had posted a link for.

I'll let you guy's know how they work out as soon as I get them!

8. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased the Peltor worktunes AM/FM, a couple of months ago. I bought this one because the programs I like to listen to are all on AM. Well forget it, the AM sucks & doesnt pick up the signals at all. What a waste of $$, now I'm back to listening to my sony walkman as loud as it will go.

SJR

9. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

SJR, How does the FM work. I just ordered two pair. The sales person told me the work tunes are the same as the old FM model only with AM.

10. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Ssouth, The FM is fine, great reception, no static, perfect. But I need AM for what I like to listen to. I wish Howard Stern was on FM around here.

SJR