FM3300E Finish Mower

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by rwrathell, May 21, 2007.

1. rwrathell

rwrathell LawnSite Member

I just bought a Billy Goat FM3300E walk behind mower at the beginning of May. I love the mower. It is very compact and easy to use, but I have recently developed a very large oil leak. It should be covered under warranty, but has this happened to anyone else? Did I get a lemon? or have others had similar experiences?

2. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

Very large oil leak?, I'd recommend taking that to a Briggs and Stratton dealer ASAP. We haven't heard this complaint. Get it in to get looked at before any further damage occurs. I hope this helps.

3. rwrathell

I took the mower to my nearest briggs and Stratton dealer and the dealer replace the engine entirely. The awesome thing is they gave me a 13.5hp engine instead of the standard 13. It has been working great, but recently I've noticed that when I let go of the Blade lever, the blade often doesn't want to disengage. It seems as though the belts and pulley want to stay engaged. Any suggestions? Does this have to do with the bigger engine, even though it is only 1/2 a horse?

4. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad to hear your engine issue has been resolved. As for the blades not disengaging I'd bet with the installation of the engine something may have been shifted. There's a break puck (also reversable when one side wears out) that is spring loaded such that when you disengage the belt that powers the blades, it engages a blade pulley and stops the blades. All of the blades are on one belt and the power transfer is coming in on another belt.

A few things could be happening here. One, the cable to the blade pulley may not be working smoothly and keeping the blades engaged. Two, the blade engagement pulley may not be rotating freely or the spring that "spring loads" it and engages the break puck could be broken or missing. Three, the break puck might be worn out. If this is the case you can reverse it but, it should take a loooong time to wear that much. This would indicate something else is out of alignment. This would need to be taken care of or the problem will repeat itself in short order.

If you can't figure it out quickly (and or safely) take it back to your dealer to get it looked at. Please let me know if there are any other questions or problems I can help you with.

5. rwrathell

Thanks for the help. I took off the pulley cover and played around a little bit. I figured out what was wrong, and it is easily fixed.

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

So what was the problem ??

7. rwrathell

The pulleys were off just enough to make the spring that pulls the puck into place unaffective.