F'n Geese and customers who feed them...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescaretaker, Dec 15, 2004.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Got a call from one of the crews today. Said the yard they were there to mow was gone. I said what? How does a yard disappear? Last time I saw it two weeks ago the winter rye had come in beautifully. What are you talking about. They told me to get out there right away.

I pull up to this yard which backs up to a golf course here. I am dumbfounded when I see it. There is NO grass anywhere and part of the neighbors yard is missing too. Stunned I knock on the door and the "he-man of the universe" opens the door and starts chewing my a$$ out saying it was my fault. That the grass seed made the geese from the golf course come over and picked his yard clean. I didn't now what to say. I guess it was possible. He then told me that he wanted new sod in by weeks end or he was going to "sue me blind."

I'm 42 and have to admit, in 30 years of cutting grass I never came upon a situation like this. I called Lesco and a few others to see why the birds would do this. I have seen damage on the golf course before but nothing like this. Nobody had an answer.

I gave in and ordered the sod (22,000 sqft) and scheduled it for Friday. What the hay..... I am on a roll this month. Why not just eat this one too.

Just then his wife pulls in with her brand new $85K Rover. She goes on to tell us how much she likes it here verses Mich. Her husband tells her what an a-hole I am and that he is making me replace the yard. Feeling like $hit now she opens the back of her SUV and we offer to help her unload the boxes. Setting one box down I notice that it is bird feed.... I start thinking and ask her why you need 200lbs of bird food. She tells me that she has been tossing it out on the lawn for the birds to eat. I just stare at her in disbelief. Just then she realizes what she has done.

She begs me not to say anything to her husband and proceeds to pull out her check book. She ask what it is going to cost and I pop off $15,000.00 since I have to remove all of the bird crap before laying sod. She writes me a check for $20K and ask me to keep quite and not say anything.

Ok.... I wasn't born yesterday. I take the check and tell her we will be here on Friday but she can't feed the birds anymore. She agrees. I drive straight to Bank of America and exchange the check for a cashiers check.

So since he was such an A-hole.... and his wife gave me an extra $5K to keep quite.... would you continue servicing this property?
  2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I'm still trying to figure out how it's your fault the geese ate the lawn.......
  3. BobwithECLC

BobwithECLC LawnSite Member

HECK YES!!! And when they get divorced you will get two jobs out of one. Because he thought you were great for replacing his lawn and she thinks you are great for keeping quite. In fact I am on the way to our seed supplier to order some bird seed. LOL
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

NO, it was an act of God anyway. You guarentee Rye will grow? It was her fault and even if it hadn't come to light I'd be asking "What did you do it?" PITA so drop'em soon.
  5. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

What would it have cost you if you had to do it and eat the expense?
  6. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I would say yes, they obvioucly have money. I for one would never throw in 5g's to keep quiet lol. I would deff. stay with these people.
  7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

dang thats awsome. ya keep em. I bet someones kids are going to have an awsome christmas (if ya have kids, lol). Thats awsome though.
  8. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I had that kind of money to throw around..... $5000.00 is the best christmas bonus I have ever heard of.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'd have that check framed and hanging on my office wall if that happened to me...Merry Christmas!
  10. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

But how is she going to drop 20g's and not have her husband find out?

You went from the unluckiest person on earth the the luckiest in a matter of about 10 minutes.