1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Foam filled drive tires???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottm1, Oct 26, 2007.

1. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

I just bought a demo 07 Scag Turg Tiger today that had 80 hrs on it. The front tires are semi pneumatics, but the dealer told me the rear drive tires had been foam filled. I thought this was a good thing when he told me since he said I would have no flats and I figured the extra weight would help on my hills, but after reading on here I am getting mixed opinions on this. Do you guys think I need to get them off of the mower? Is it possible to remove the foam fromn the wheel and tire, or is a permanant? To get rid of it will I have to replace both wheels and tires? Or do you guys think I should just leave them on.
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I can't imagine why they would put foam in a practically new mower unless one of the tires was damaged. It is possible that he meant slime filled but then again that wouldn't add weight. I wouldn't have anything but slime or similar product in my rear tires. Doesn't make sense on a new one. I also didn't think foam would add weight. I have heard of people putting fluid in tires for added weight but a Turf Tiger doesn't need it. Ask you dealer again for sure what product is in the rear tires, there may have been a misunderstanding.
  3. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

With foam filled tires, your ride will be rougher (no cushion from the tires) and you may tear up some turf.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I looked into getting my Gator tires foam filled. The tire dealer told me that it would add close to 100lbs of weight per tire. I'll just stick to my Slime.
  5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

just plan on replaceing the drive motors every 2 years or so
  6. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Well I don't want to have to replace the drive motors every two years, or replace them at all for that matter. If it is going to tear up my mower I want to get them off of there. Actually the mower was used, not a demo as I stated before. The mower was sold new at this dealer in the spring of this year. The previous owner is moving and the dealer was selling the mower on consignment for him. I am assuming the previous owner was mowing hills and wanted the added weight. I am trying to decide if I should leave them on or not. I can tolerate the stiffer ride, but I do not want it to be doing damage to my mower while I am using it. I don't think I can remove the foam. It will require two new wheels and tires to get rid of it...What would you guys do?
  7. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

In order to make those tires 100lbs you would have to fill them with lead. foam is rubbery and light weight. It will eventually harden making the ride rough and it makes tire changing hard. you almost have to cut the tire off. slime works and always keep a plug kit in the truck. I know this sounds weard, but try to see if the foam will break down with gas. Let all the air out if there is pressure and break the bead with the tire on its side. then poor some gas around the edge of the wheel where the tire bead is exposed. once the foam liquifies, start pulling the tire off the rim with a couple prying tools. then do the other side. once the tire is off. clean both the tire and rim with a brush and gas.
  8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

You need regular air filled rear tires. Do what ever you have to get this done. Maybe the foam can be removed, I'm not sure how but I would get it done. Yes even If I had to buy two new wheels and tires. I'm just not sure how difficult it would be to remove the foam from the old wheels but what have you got to loose?
  9. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Thanks Tacoma for the opinion. I am of the smae opinion here. The dealer tells me that new wheels are around $44.00 each. What is the cost of the tires, and where is a good place to get them?
  10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

there will be NO problem with the wheel motors and the weight of the foam.... this is the silliest thing i have heard in a long time...

a bagger attachment, or a heavy person operating would add a lot more weight than that... also 1/2 the weight would not have to be supported by the spindle because it is below the centerline of the axle.

If it were the newer soft foam, you will not notice any ride quality differences.