Foam filled tires for all ride-ons

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jan 2, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I've been told that foam is the way to go. We use nearly two gallons of RV antifreeze per tire in our PG's, yet they too get holes in them and leak once in awhile.

Anybody use foam instead of air or RV antifreeze? Mowers too?

If so, where do you go to have foam installed in tires?

rscvp, thanks.:waving:
  2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

At my old job as a mechanic, we had a lot of equipment around that had foam-filled tires. Flat spots were a big problem if the equipment sat too long in one spot. That's not to say that newer foam filled tires would do that. They might have worked that problem out of them. If it was particularly hot out, our tires would get flat spots even quicker.
  3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

How would that affect the "ride"?

Seems like stiffining up the tires would make it a rougher ride?

I don't know though!
  4. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

American - what's the purpose or benefit?

Will the foam freeze and / or deteriorate?
  5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think you would get the ballast that is required on machines like the PG. At least thats what my Lesco rep told me last year when i was thinking about going the foam route.
  6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

rough ride...and extra weight....depending on the foam it can add up to 50 lbs per tire....on a ztr.... rougher ride.

I have had good luck "sliming my tires" the green slime work well and self seals. I encounter more than my share of broken glass...
  7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I'm not sure. Currently, we have no equipment with foam in the tires. I figured foam would be light weight so as to minimize the already heavy weight of our ride-ons riding on the carring rack behind the truck. The "foam" advice was given to me by a ride-on manufacturer, but after reading your guys' replies, I know better. (thanks)

PG's come with one gallon per tire of RV antifreeze, but we use two gallons per tire, as it improves stability on hills and improves the ride on bumpy surfaces. My concern is the extra weight, cuz the carrying rack is already maxed out.

I really appreciate you guys & your input. Great site.
  8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

You bring up a good point...about the weight of the tires.

If you lighten the tires with foam it would think the machine would be less stable on hills. I would think that the heavier tires "like with antifreeze" would lower the center of gravity and help it to stick to the hills a little better.

If you get rid of the weight...would it stick as good? I don't have a clue, but that is a great point you bring up!
  9. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never heard of antifreeze in tires as a sealant?:confused:
  10. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

The RV antifreeze is for ballast not for a sealant. It keeps the center of gravity low, antifreeze is used because water would freeze and be very hard to drive with when frozen.