Foam Filled Tires?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by NEUSWEDE, Feb 5, 2007.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have the option on my new Skid to have the tires filled with foam. They quoted me $300 per wheel. Just curious what are the pros and cons and does that sound like the right price?

I know it will save me from having flats but what else are they good for? What happens when I have to replace the tires. I will be running over the tire tracks from time to time.
    Thanks

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

That's all they are good for - flats. Once they're done, they're done.

3. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't run them completely smooth they can be capped a couple of times. When I bought foam filled tires last year the dealer told me that if the carcass is still in good shape they will bring me another set and take mine for re-treading. No down time.

4. O'Dell Equipment Rental

O'Dell Equipment Rental LawnSite Member

I got a quote of $169.oo a tire for 10X16.5's last week. Try to talk to a tire company and get a quote it will prob be cheaper than the dealer.

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

IN some cases teh foam will keep you from havingto buy an weight kits for the machine. They add a dignificant amount of weight to the machine. Keep that in mind

I though about doing onmune, but since some of my equipment sees it way on roof tops here on campus the weight penalty was too great. I ended up getting my tires inside "slimed" So far no problems...

I did notice that the stock tires tend to be a softer rubber and might wear out faster.... My stock tires I only got 200 hours on my JD series II. But I do get a lot more "road" use than most of you guys.

6. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I believe the tread will last longer on filled tire because they remain at a constant pressure. And they do add about 100 lbs per tire.

7. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

They add a lot more than 100 pounds per tire IIRC.

8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I heard filling the retires with foam really help ya be able to carry more weight. My cat salesman actually told me to not get the counterweight kits and just fill the rear tires with foam. Suppose to cost less and do more then the counter weights.

I havn't filled my tires yet. My machine performs fine the way it is.

9. accurate machinery

accurate machinery LawnSite Member

As a rule, I discount machines with foam filled tires. The 2 good things about foam filled tires are they are flat proof and they are low on the ground weight. Every time I have to trade in a machine with foam filled tires they are completely bald. The treads can't take the stress that used to be absorbed by the flexing side wall so I think that the tread wear is rapidly increased, cuts in the tread happen much easier, again because of no flex in the side wall. I can instantly tell when I am driving a machine with foam filled tires because air in the tire, the only suspension that the skid steer had is now gone. The harsh ride is very evident, that can't be good for the machine, much less the operator. My tire guys charge me between 30 and 40 bucks per rim to cut off the old tires that are foam filled. I have some pictures of the drive line components of the skid steer loader on my website http://accuratemachinery.com/stories/Story.2003-12-15.3021 , it used to be argued that foamfilling would shorten the life of the drive line components but I don't know that to be true, does any one out there know for a fact that it does? www.accuratemachinery.com

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

With tires like McLaren's Nu-Airs available, foam filled seems stupid. Unless you really need the weight and can't get what you need from counterweight kits, there are better options for flat-proofing that are easier on the machine and the operator.